Welcome to the CDC’s Ask Me Anything Winter break series.
Missed yesterday’s? We got you: https://careers.newark.rutgers.edu/blog/2021/01/04/january-4-2021-cdcs-ask-me-anything-winter-break-series/
Today’s question is: What are some tips regarding Networking, especially in today’s world?
Remember that networking is not asking for what you need, but it’s about making connections. When you reach out to someone, try to mention something that you share in common, such as your major or the industry you’d like to pursue. Explain why you’re reaching out (are you looking for advice, want some information, hoping to set up a call).
Here are some suggestions depending on how much time you have:
- 5-minutes: Did you know we have a platform called Rutgers Student Alumni Career Connect? You can connect with thousands of Rutgers alumni from every Rutgers campus!
- 10 minutes: Do you have a LinkedIn profile? Here you can build and engage with your professional network, this includes Rutgers-Newark alumni.
- 15 minutes plus: Since the pandemic started a lot of professional organizations have started hosting free networking events for their members and students. Researching these organizations in your industry of interest can help you come across these events. Professional organizations have also decreased or waived fees for students during the pandemic.
- You can also politely ask professionals that you connect with on Rutgers Student Alumni Career Connect, LinkedIn, and Rutgers-Newark Handshake for informational interviews. This article can support you with informational interviews.
- The CDC also will be hosting a series of panels, identity, and industry topics, with alumni and professionals from the field. This is also a great way to connect and network with others. Feel free to check out our events!
As always, we are here to support you with all of your career needs! You can also schedule an appointment with a career coach or stop by during our drop-in times.