Active Minds is seeking three to five experienced trainers or facilitators to lead Active Minds’ V-A-R® (Validate-Appreciate-Refer) workshops and trainings. The ideal candidate is an experienced public trainer or facilitator, both in-person and virtually, willing to adhere to the preset presentation content for the sake of consistency and fidelity and to learn about current trends and best practices in the field of mental health advocacy. This is a contract, event-based position.
Validate-Appreciate-Refer (V-A-R®) is Active Minds’ simple, revolutionary tool that empowers people to have meaningful conversations with those around them. Through a 60-90-minute workshop, trainers equip participants to actively listen and effectively respond to someone who is having a difficult time. A conversation can make all the difference and help prevent a crisis from developing later. Active Minds V-A-R® trainers lead interactive and engaging conversations about mental health and participants gain tangible skills to promote a culture that is supportive of mental wellness.
Description of Services:
- Present and conduct in-person or virtual 60-90-minute V-A-R® trainings to high schools, colleges, and corporate audiences (Note: In-person training must follow all COVID-19 safety protocols of the CDC, government officials, Active Minds, and the hosting organization.)
- Stay up to date on current trends and methods for workshop facilitation
- Perform “pre-event” calls with the hosting organization to discuss logistics two weeks prior to each assigned booking
- Attend seminars and Active Minds meetings from time to time to assist contractors in learning new training methods and techniques and prepare and coordinate future training sessions
- Recommend additional training materials and resources when appropriate
- Serve as an Active Minds brand ambassador for the V-A-R® program at events, as needed
- Serve as liaison between Active Minds staff and the host for any questions regarding bookings, training, and development
- Evaluate and report on each booking, providing suggestions to better prepare for future events
- Strong oral, written, and presentation skills (English required)
- 1-2 years of experience training to or facilitating conversations with small and large audiences ranging from 10-200 participants
- Professional email/phone/video etiquette
- Knowledge of mental health education and promotion
- Comfort and experience managing and delivering content through virtual webinar environments such as Zoom, Microsoft Teams, and other webinar platforms
- Active and engaging personality
- Responsiveness to prospective bookings (via email) within 24 hours
- Strong Microsoft Office skills, particularly PowerPoint
- Exemplary multitasking skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Flexible availability to conduct training across multiple time zones
- Ability to travel within the United States
- Experience as a mental health advocate
- Bilingual and able to read, write and speak Spanish proficiently
This is a contract position. Presenters are paid a flat rate per event, which includes services and some meetings pre- and/or post-event.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and a link to a 5-10 minute video of you speaking* to email@example.com with the subject line “V-A-R Trainer.” The video does not need to be live or professionally produced. It is intended to give us a sense of your speaking style.
*You can upload the video to YouTube or Vimeo (set to private if you prefer), or send us a link to a Google Drive, Dropbox, or other cloud-based storage.
Active Minds is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, and welcoming workplace. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we encourage all qualified candidates to apply. It is important to us to reflect the communities we serve. Active Minds thus recruits, hires, trains, compensates, and promotes our staff regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.