Syracuse.com and The Post-Standard are looking for a News Reporter to help us break news, attract readers and redefine journalism. This is a Syracuse-based position.
You should apply if you:
- Are a high-energy reporter who can work with speed, creativity, accuracy and good judgment
- Really want to be first to report something
- Are fearless in chasing crime-and-safety stories. This role will develop sources, report on victims and criminals, watchdog the authorities, identify trends, and advocate for readers and taxpayers
- Have a relentless curiosity and desire to work with a tightly knit reporting team exploring new ways to report news
- Have skills in digital storytelling and an open mind about new approaches
- Are open to shifts that can include weekends and/or nights
We’re an agenda-setting, award-winning newsroom that dominates our market and is paving the way for the future of digital news. Do you want to be part of that?
We’re committed to building a newsroom that reflects the diversity of the community we serve.
In this position, you will be part of a dynamic and inclusive team focused on local journalism for one of the country’s largest privately owned media companies.
Qualified candidates will have:
- Degree in journalism, communications, or related field with proven ability in journalism reporting
- Proven experience building, maintaining, and engaging an active audience
- Ability to work independently under deadline pressure and prioritize tasks appropriately
- Solid understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and story structure
- Demonstrated capability in capitalizing on high-value topics by engaging audiences in frequency and urgency
- Mastery of social media platforms and digital interaction
- Ability to leverage relationships with sources to deliver content that differentiates the organization from competitors
Advance Local Media offers competitive pay and a comprehensive benefits package including generous paid time off, flexible holidays and parental leave as well as options for your healthcare.
Advance Media New York is a digitally focused news and information company serving Upstate New York. Advance Media New York publishes and operates an extensive portfolio of digital and print products featuring comprehensive in-depth content from Central New York’s largest news organization. Advance Media New York’s flagship brands are syracuse.com, the leading website in Central New York; The Post-Standard newspaper, which has served the Syracuse community since 1829; and NYup.com, the premier site for and about Upstate New York.
Advance Media New York is a part of Advance Local Media, one of the largest media groups in the United States, which operates the leading news and information companies in more than 20 cities, reaching 58+ million people monthly with our quality, real-time journalism and community engagement. Our company is built upon the values of Integrity, Customer-first, Inclusiveness, Collaboration and Forward-looking. For more information about Advance Local, please visit www.advancelocal.com.
Advance Local Media is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, encouraging applications from people of all backgrounds. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or any other category protected under federal, state or local law.