New Jersey Advance Media is in search of a journalist responsible for overseeing a new initiative to elevate the voices of diverse and underserved communities, including Spanish speakers. The job involves finding members of diverse communities who will develop opinion pieces that provide an individual’s or a community perspective on news events and current issues. The manager will produce content in a medium in which the person most excels and work with others on staff to strategically experiment with written, video, audio, newsletter and event formats or other emerging spaces. This manager will also manage functional relationships with freelancers, including assigning work, monitoring submissions, arranging photos, editing content and accounting for content in the budgeting system. The job also requires the manager to communicate frequently with the company’s Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee, as well as with the Diversity, Culture and Identity reporter.
NJ Advance Media, New Jersey’s largest and most influential news organization, provides content for NJ.com, The Star-Ledger and our other affiliated papers. Our newsroom values innovation, voice, competition and, most importantly, a shared passion for journalism. Our teams have won three Pulitzer Prizes, more than 20 NY Emmy Awards for our video work and virtually every major award that recognizes excellence in News, Sports, Features and Data journalism.
You should apply if you have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications or a related field is preferred
- Minimum of five years’ professional experience in developing and directing web-related projects/programs
- Minimum of three years’ management and/or team leadership experience
- Experience working with video and social networking functionality / technology required
- Self-starter, very detailed oriented and have the ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and manage multiple complex projects to on-time delivery
- Solid track record of successfully developing projects through launch
- Experience creating interactive metrics reports and analyzing their implications
- Understanding of the methods and tools used to deliver content across a variety of platforms and ability to create efficiencies in the system to aid in content development and collection
- Mastery of social media and digital interaction
- Ability to leverage the relationship between technology and customer data and insight to create engaging, interactive and optimized product offerings
- Understand the methods and tools used to deliver content across a variety of platforms
- Ability to develop news and opinion content that differentiates the organization from competitors
- Ability to create and implement strategies to respond to the evolving nature of the industry by experimenting with new models, platforms and ideas to stimulate audience engagement and revenue generation/growth
Advance Local Media offers competitive pay and a comprehensive benefits package including generous paid time off, flexible holidays and parental leave as well as options for your healthcare.
NJ Advance Media is a company positioned for the future. We embrace the rapidly evolving digital landscape and are committed to developing new solutions across current and emerging media to help advertisers grow their businesses. In addition to flexible advertising opportunities with powerful media vehicles that we represent, we offer custom digital solutions from web and mobile site development, to a sophisticated array of search and social media optimization and targeted display solutions to reach audiences on all platforms.
Our focus is on developing a real-time approach to reporting news, sports and entertainment content for consumption across all platforms and devices throughout New Jersey and Easton, PA. On nj.com and lehighvalleylive.com, we ensure the communities we serve have 24/7 access to the news and information that’s most relevant locally, regionally and beyond. Our quality journalism and in-depth coverage is provided locally in The Star-Ledger, The Hunterdon County Democrat, The Suburban News, The Times of Trenton, South Jersey Times and The Express-Times.
NJ Advance Media is a part of Advance Local Media, one of the largest media groups in the United States, which operates the leading news and information companies in more than 20 cities, reaching 58+ million people monthly with our quality, real-time journalism and community engagement. Our company is built upon the values of Integrity, Customer-first, Inclusiveness, Collaboration and Forward-looking. For more information about Advance Local, please visit www.advancelocal.com.
Advance Local Media is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, encouraging applications from people of all backgrounds. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or any other category protected under federal, state or local law