MLive Media Group is seeking a talented Sports Reporter for their Jackson office. The Sports Reporter will report and produce sports stories for various platforms, and act as a statewide expert and discussion leader on high-value topics, meeting audience demand for immediacy, depth and engagement. Areas of coverage emphasis include high school sports and recreational sports. We want someone who will look beyond the gamers and tell the stories of Jackson sports and the people involved in them in creative ways.
The ideal candidate will have a firm grasp on sports and feature writing, solid interviewing skills and productive work ethic. Video and photography experience a must as is experience working on multiple social media platforms.
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- Degree in Journalism or Communications or related field required
- Minimum of 2 years of journalism experience with a proven ability in reporting and writing required
- Proven experience building, maintaining and engaging an active audience
- Ability to work independently under deadline pressure and prioritize tasks appropriately
- Demonstrated reporting, writing and organizational skills
- Solid understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and story structure
- Understanding of search engine optimization practices
- Experience with using social media to source and promote content
- Demonstrated ability to capitalize on high-value topics by engaging audiences frequently
- Understanding of the methods and tools used to deliver content across a variety of platforms such as web content management systems, blogging tools and social media platforms
- Mastery of social media and digital interaction
- Proven ability to utilize a broad set of tools to tell stories and engage the audience
- Understanding of audience metrics and proven ability to leverage them to make choices about coverage
- Ability to leverage relationships with sources to deliver content that differentiates the organization from competitors
- Ability to work independently and remotely, and effectively collaborate with team members and managers wherever they are
- Ability to work flexible schedules, including nights, weekends and holidays, as needed
MLive Media Group is an audience-first, digitally focused media company encompassing all content, sales and marketing operations for: MLive.com, The Grand Rapids Press, The Muskegon Chronicle, Kalamazoo Gazette, The Jackson Citizen Patriot, The Ann Arbor News, The Flint Journal, The Saginaw News, The Bay City Times and the Advance Weeklies in Grand Rapids, as well as several related entities. In addition to being Michigan’s #1 news and information provider, MLive Media Group is Michigan’s largest local media advertising network, allowing advertisers to reach local audiences in communities across the state.
MLive Media Group is a part of Advance Local, one of the largest media groups in the United States, which operates the leading news and information companies in more than 25 cities, reaching 50+ million people monthly with our quality, real-time journalism and community engagement. Our company is built upon the values of Integrity, Collaboration, Accountability, Fearlessness, and Customer Focus. For more information about Advance Local, please visit www.advancelocal.com.
Advance Local is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, physical or mental impairment, sexual orientation, marital status or any other category protected under federal, state or local law.