Adventureland safely and successfully opened for our 2020 season and will be open for our 2021 season.
If you want to learn operations, people skills, and business leadership, this is the opportunity for you! This position offers the most unique, fun yet demanding, and rewarding atmosphere in which a student could spend their summer. This is a position that will assist three department directors in all aspects of operations in the Fun Department of an amusement park. From personnel management to operations to distribution to bartending, the student will be exposed to many different aspects of park operations. The student will have the opportunity to be part of the planning, preparation, and execution of a full park season. This position involves the execution and management of a department of 50 employees and over $1 million in sales. The student will have the opportunity to develop and extend communication and management skills through extensive contact with department heads, managers, employees and guests.
It is difficult to describe all the challenges that the student will solve during the summer and all the benefits from which they will derive.
May 2021–October 2021. Weekends only during the months of May & September, Oktoberfest event on September 25th.
• Maintaining a variety of different bar venues, where you are your own supervisor
• Contributing to putting together Iowa’s largest Oktoberfest celebration with over 10,000 attendees
• Working in cabana sales and service and assisting with group cabana events
• Participating in organizing concerts and other special events
• Training employees from all over the world on hospitality service
• Helping with warehouse organization and inventory control
• Being involved in security aspects of bars and special events
• Learning to service certain pieces of equipment essential to operation
• Be a part of scheduling, ordering, and other administrative duties within the department
• Grasp the ability to use a POS system as a worker and as a manager
• Manage our special event bars- learn what it takes to “pop up” a bar in minutes
• Being a part of meetings with a variety of vendors and other department heads
• Handling and transporting money
• Ability to work in fast paced environment and handle stress
• Excellent listening skills
• Be on feet for long periods of time
• Effective verbal and written communication skills
• Able to work outside in all summer weather conditions
• Independent, resourceful worker
• Strong problem-solving skills
• Prepared to work weekends and holidays
• Lift and carry up to 50lbs
• Experience serving in a position of leadership is preferred
Hospitality Management and Event Management
• $4.35 an hour plus tips. Average pay >$10.00 per hour- Will discuss further in interview.
• Minimum of five days a week, Friday-Sunday shifts required
• 50-60 hours a week during park season, no time-and-a-half
• Ability to work 60+ hours a week if desired
• Very flexible on needing time off
• Meals and uniforms provided
• Free admission to park on days off
• Access to Friends & Family tickets