Automation Engineer Co-op
January 2022 to June 2022
Westborough, MA or North Reading, MA
Are you inspired by invention? Is problem solving through teamwork in your DNA? Do you like the idea of seeing how your work impacts the bigger picture? Answer yes to any of these and you’ll fit right in here at Amazon Robotics. We are a smart team of doers that work passionately to apply cutting edge advances in robotics and software to solve real-world challenges that will transform our customers’ experiences in ways we can’t even imagine yet. We invent new improvements every day. We are Amazon Robotics and we will give you the tools and support you need to invent with us in ways that are rewarding, fulfilling and fun.
Amazon Robotics, a wholly owned subsidiary of Amazon.com, empowers a smarter, faster, more consistent customer experience through automation. Amazon Robotics automates fulfilment center operations using various methods of robotic technology including autonomous mobile robots, sophisticated control software, language perception, power management, computer vision, depth sensing, machine learning, object recognition, and semantic understanding of commands. Amazon Robotics has a dedicated focus on research and development to continuously explore new opportunities to extend its product lines into new areas.
Amazon Robotics is seeking exceptional candidates for our Boston locations, who possess a blend of technical and customer-facing skills to successfully support the Amazon Mobile-Robotic Fulfillment Systems solution. This job will require a unique combination of flexibility, troubleshooting, creativity, leadership skills and drive. As part of this highly visible team candidates have the opportunity to work cross-functionally with multiple international teams within Amazon to contribute to the continuous innovation of the Mobile-Robotic Fulfillment System.
A successful candidate will have a consulting aptitude, strong ownership, passion and love for software and operational troubleshooting, customer-facing skills, and a desire to work within an elite group at the leading edge of Amazon’s Mobile-Robotic Fulfillment System operations.
This role is a 6 month co-op to join AR full time (40 hours/week) from January 2022 to June 2022
The Co-op will be responsible for:
- Collaborate with Software, Hardware and System Performance Engineering teams to problem-solve critical software production issues
- Work with Fulfillment Center (FC) Operations team to provide technical guidance and troubleshoot operational challenges
- Develop training documentation and mentor other team members
- Driving the development of automation tools to reduce failures and manual task execution, therefore improving overall application performance and availability
- Have the ability to resolve critical incidents/problems and fluently applies escalation and notification procedures to leadership
- Document specific techniques for incident/problem resolution that will enable proactive system management
- Own and drive Root Case Analysis (RCA) on complex system issues
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science/Engineering or equivalent
- At least one semester of school left to complete after December 2021
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills
- Excellent interpersonal and customer-facing skills, with the ability to competently discuss complex technical issues with software, operations, and leadership teams
- Ability to manage multiple high-priority tasks simultaneously
- Knowledge and/or working experience with Relational Database Management Systems (MySQL, Oracle)
- Knowledge and/or working experience with Linux (RHEL, Ubuntu)
- Demonstrable software development experience utilizing a high-level programming language (Java, C++)
- Previous internship experience
- Unix/Python Shell Scripting skills
- Experience with hardware and solutions troubleshooting
- Knowledge and/or working experience with networking and Product IT management
- An understanding of AWS or other cloud technologies
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit: https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.