Hardware Safety Engineer Co-op
January 2022 to June 2022
Westborough, MA or North Reading, MA
Are you inspired by invention? Is problem solving through teamwork in your DNA? Do you like the idea of seeing how your work impacts the bigger picture? Answer yes to any of these and you’ll fit right in here at Amazon Robotics. We are a smart team of doers that work passionately to apply cutting edge advances in robotics and software to solve real-world challenges that will transform our customers’ experiences in ways we can’t even imagine yet. We invent new improvements every day. We are Amazon Robotics and we will give you the tools and support you need to invent with us in ways that are rewarding, fulfilling and fun.
Amazon Robotics, a wholly owned subsidiary of Amazon.com, empowers a smarter, faster, more consistent customer experience through automation. Amazon Robotics automates fulfilment center operations using various methods of robotic technology including autonomous mobile robots, sophisticated control software, language perception, power management, computer vision, depth sensing, machine learning, object recognition, and semantic understanding of commands. Amazon Robotics has a dedicated focus on research and development to continuously explore new opportunities to extend its product lines into new areas.Amazon Robotics is seeking a talented and motivated Co-Op who is interested in learning about Hardware Functional Safety and how to apply these standards to design safety-relevant controls for robotics systems and industrial equipment. This candidate should be motivated to eager to learn about safety principles and industrial safety standards. This position reports to a senior member of the functional safety team.
This role is a 6 month co-op to join AR full time (40 hours/week) from January-June 2022. Amazon Robotics co-op opportunities will be based in the Greater Boston Area, in our two state-of-the-art facilities in Westborough and North Reading, MA. Both campuses provide a unique opportunity for interns to have direct access to robotics testing labs and manufacturing facilities.
The Hardware Functional Safety Engineering Co-Op will be responsible for:
- Working with one of more of the safety engineers on the team who will act as a mentor throughout the Co-Op term
- Learn about the IEC industrial standards for the development lifecycle of a robotic control system
- Assist with analyzing failure modes of control circuits, the effect of the failure, and identifying mitigations and diagnostics
- Work with team to ensure control systems comply to machinery safety standards (ISO 13849, IEC 62061, IEC 61508, IEC 61496)
- BS / MS candidate in Engineering (EE, Systems, Safety or similar field)
- At least one semester left of school to complete after December 2021
- Commitment to rigorous testing practices and design process flows
- Desire to work and learn in a fast-paced environment
- Desire to develop deep understanding of the business and end user needs
- Desire to commit and follow through on complex problems
- Ability to resolve complex issues in creative, efficient, and effective ways
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience with Python, MATLAB, SQL, or similar scripting languages
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit: https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.