Product Quality Engineer Co-op
January 2022 to June 2022
Are you inspired by invention? Is problem solving through teamwork in your DNA? Do you like the idea of seeing how your work impacts the bigger picture? Answer yes to any of these and you’ll fit right in here at Amazon Robotics. We are a smart team of doers that work passionately to apply cutting edge advances in robotics and software to solve real-world challenges that will transform our customers’ experiences in ways we can’t even imagine yet. We invent new improvements every day. We are Amazon Robotics and we will give you the tools and support you need to invent with us in ways that are rewarding, fulfilling and fun.
Amazon Robotics, a wholly owned subsidiary of Amazon.com, empowers a smarter, faster, more consistent customer experience through automation. Amazon Robotics automates fulfilment center operations using various methods of robotic technology including autonomous mobile robots, sophisticated control software, language perception, power management, computer vision, depth sensing, machine learning, object recognition, and semantic understanding of commands. Amazon Robotics has a dedicated focus on research and development to continuously explore new opportunities to extend its product lines into new areas. The Advanced Product Quality Engineering (APQE) team is a multi-disciplinary technical organization that is responsible for Quality Engineering and Quality Systems Management across AR’s Global Enterprise.
The APQE organization is seeking a talented and motivated Product Quality Engineer Co-op with a desire to work with a portfolio of ground-breaking advanced technologies and interface with complex and state-of-the-art manufacturing environments. You will be responsible for working with cross functional technical teams to solve problems and deploy product improvements. You will actively work with hardware, production, and external parties to achieve the highest quality products at the lowest cost. This is an exciting opportunity to join a talented team, work on leading edge robotic and advanced technology solutions, and drive improvements and effectiveness of operations while building your career for future opportunities.
This role is a 6 month co-op to join AR full time (40 hours/week) from January – June 2022. Amazon Robotics co-op opportunities will be based in Seattle HQ or the Greater Boston Area. Both campuses provide a unique opportunity for co-ops to have direct access to robotics labs and manufacturing facilities.
The Co-op will be responsible for:
- Partner with stakeholders in requirements development for new product development.
- Drive team continuous improvement initiatives including inventing new methods for forecasting supplier assessment and development priority.
- Quality defect evaluation and internal escalation/coordination. Assist in failure analysis.
- Assist in internal quality investigations and CAPAs.
- Supplier development and communication to reduce defects.
- Work with field quality and maintenance engineering to triage issues.
- Present findings to leadership and at QBRs.
- Assist in data collection and visualization.
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Electrical, Mechanical or Computer Engineering.
- At least one semester left of school left to complete after the co-op ends
- Previous co-op experience in a professional environment desired
- Data analysis skillset and experience in using visualization tools such as Tableau.
- Knowledge of standard quality tools including 5-Why, Fishbone Analysis, 8D, Controls Plans, and FMEA
- Functional knowledge of measurement hand tools
- Basic understanding of statistical techniques including Cpk, GR&R, sampling plans
- Control of Non-Conforming process experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Understanding of metrics, process capabilities, LEAN, databases, data collection and mining
- Good analytical and problem solving skills
- Good work ethic, desire to learn and be challenged
- PAPP experience
- GD&T blueprint reading
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit: https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.