Software Development Engineer (SDE) Co-op
Are you inspired by invention? Is problem solving through teamwork in your DNA? Do you like the idea of seeing how your work impacts the bigger picture? Answer yes to any of these and you’ll fit right in here at Amazon Robotics. We are a smart team of doers that work passionately to apply cutting edge advances in robotics and software to solve real-world challenges that will transform our customers’ experiences in ways we can’t even imagine yet. We invent new improvements every day. We are Amazon Robotics and we will give you the tools and support you need to invent with us in ways that are rewarding, fulfilling and fun.
Amazon Robotics, a wholly owned subsidiary of Amazon.com, empowers a smarter, faster, more consistent customer experience through automation. Amazon Robotics automates fulfilment center operations using various methods of robotic technology including autonomous mobile robots, sophisticated control software, language perception, power management, computer vision, depth sensing, machine learning, object recognition, and semantic understanding of commands. Amazon Robotics has a dedicated focus on research and development to continuously explore new opportunities to extend its product lines into new areas.
Amazon Robotics is seeking talented and motivated candidates for our Boston locations to design, develop and test software that controls and optimizes mobile-robotic fulfillment systems used by Amazon.com operations. Amazon Robotics software is developed using agile methodologies in a collaborative team environment. Amazon Robotics software facilitates user workflows, robotic control and machine to user interfaces, advanced algorithms and mobile technology.
A successful candidate will enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program related to software development/engineering. This position will report to the Amazon Robotics functional manager most closely aligned with the candidate’s skillset and project work.
This role is a 6 month co-op to join AR full time (40 hours/week) from January-June 2022. Amazon Robotics co-op opportunities will be based in the Greater Boston Area, in our two state-of-the-art facilities in Westborough and North Reading, MA. Both campuses provide a unique opportunity for co-ops to have direct access to robotics testing labs and manufacturing facilities.
The Co-op will be responsible for:
- Identifying and developing software solutions to current business problems
- Creating milestones and deliverables and tracking status with team
- Participating in daily scrums and reviews with development teams
- Developing design documentation and leading reviews with other co-ops and engineers
- Writing code and unit tests and integrating code with other software and hardware components
- Utilizing Amazon Robotics and Amazon engineering tools, processes and technologies
- Prototyping and testing concepts or features, both through simulation tools and emulators and with live robotic equipment
- Delivering a final presentation to managers and engineers on the successes and challenges of their co-op and the business value they have contributed
- Completion of at least junior year of degree program is required
- Enrolled in a degree program in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Applied Math or other algorithmic-centric discipline
- Experience in one of the following languages: Java, Python, C++, or C
- Strong understanding of object-oriented design, data structures, and algorithms
- Proficient in one or more object-orientated programming languages (Java, Python, C, C++, etc.)
- Ability to effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions
- Adept at handling ambiguous or undefined challenges through strong problem solving skills and effective communication
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit: https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.