The American Conservation Experience, a nationwide Non-Profit Conservation Corps based in Flagstaff, AZ and Salt Lake City, Utah in partnership with the Bureau of Land Management Vale District is seeking Two Range Team Members to dedicate 12 weeks to assist in monitoring efforts that inform effectiveness of grazing management prescriptions.
This opportunity is intended for enthusiastic young professionals with a deep interest in advancing their career goals in natural resource management, with emphasis in either in rangeland management or wildlife habitat management.
Start Date: June 1, 2021
End Date: 12 weeks from official start date * A minimum 12 week commitment is required *
Location: Vale, OR
Vale, OR has a rich ranching and rural history; there are ample rodeos and county fairs to attend during the summer. Nearby Weiser, ID annually hosts the national old-time fiddle competition in June. Outdoor recreation near Vale is expansive with public lands surrounding the area ranging from arid desert to montane ecosystems. Although abundant, facilitated trails and access are limited, with just a few established hiking trails, most recreation requires horses or all-terrain vehicles for access. It is 1.5 hours driving to the W, N or E to reach forested recreation. Shopping is limited in Vale (grocery store, hardware store, and gas stations), but Ontario OR, 16 miles to the E provides a larger selection including a natural foods store. If you are willing to travel 1 hour you are in the Boise area with unlimited cultural events and shopping opportunities. There is no public transportation in the Vale area, if you want to venture outside of Vale you will need a car.
For more information on the BLM Vale District, please visit: https://www.blm.gov/office/vale-district-office
For more information regarding the ACE EPIC Program, please visit: www.usaconservation.org.
The member should anticipate serving 40 hrs/wk and will receive a living allowance of $540/wk for food and incidentals, dispersed bi-weekly.
Housing: ACE Members will be responsible to find their own housing
The ACE Team Members will work with the Malheur Field Office range team, under the direction of the Supervisory Rangeland Management Specialist, to accomplish the duties of the positions.
- Assisting in upland monitoring studies, including but not limited to upland utilization, 17-Indicators for Rangeland Health, trend, and Habitat Assessment Framework (HAF)
- Completing inspections of existing range improvements such as exclosure fences, pipelines, and troughs.
- Collecting and Inputting results of range improvement inspections into BLM databases and project case files.
Project Background and Objectives:
Collection of vegetative monitoring and determining functionality of range infrastructure provides information on the effectiveness of grazing systems and prescriptions, and its influence on the health of the Public rangelands. The objective of the project is to allow for ACE Team Members to gain knowledge and hands-on experience with BLM’s rangeland management program, as well as exposure to other natural resource positions within the agency, while collecting information that will be used to inform future renewals of grazing permits.
Position responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Conduct monitoring and collect data on upland vegetative communities
- Complete range improvement inspections
- Enter results of range improvement inspections in a National Database.
- Members must be US Citizen or Permanent Resident, as required to comply with U.S. government contracts.
- Members must be 18-30 (Applicants between 31 and 35 may be considered based on veteran status)
- Ability and willingness to undergo a federal criminal background check is required
- Must have a valid driver’s license, clean driving record with ability to provide required documentation; (Driving record checks will be completed during on-boarding process.
- ACE is a drug free workplace and reserves the right to drug test at any time
- (Members must be 21+ to drive ACE/Agency vehicles)
- Ability to drive an [Agency or ACE] vehicle is required for this position. ACE will conduct a driving record check upon on-boarding and members must be cleared by ACE to drive.
- Members must have a high fitness level and an interest in camping, with potential for backcountry work trips.
- Ability to work alone/in a small group with minimal supervision.
- Experience and/or ability to learn the use of GPS units.
- Must be able and willing to work outdoors in rugged terrain and be capable of lifting 50 lbs.
- Must be able to drive on back-country roads.
Required for Position:
- Willing and able to represent ACE and the BLM in a professional, positive, and enthusiastic manner
- Ability to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation
- Proven ability to be both self-directed/work alone, and be a positive, contributing member of a group
- Must be able to communicate clearly and concisely with resource professionals
- Applicants for the position must hold or be pursuing a minimum of an Associates Degree and/or have relevant experience in subject areas.
The member must be willing to represent ACE and the BLM in a professional, positive and enthusiastic manner.
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and 3 professional references using the APPLY NOW section located on the upper right hand corner of the position listing by clicking on the green Apply Externally button.
Early consideration will be given as applications are received. This position may close at any time. If you have any questions regarding this position, please feel free to contact Celia Demers, Member Manager at email@example.com
American Conservation Experience provides equal employment opportunities (EO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, American Conservation Experience complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities