About the Role
The Publications Specialist primary responsibility is the development and implementation of AIHA products and services related to publishing. This entails working closely with volunteer groups, vendors, staff and other internal teams. It requires significant editorial experience in scientific publishing and above average project management skills to ensure constant program evaluation and new product development.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
– Responsible for all tasks related to AIHA Press and resale items including:
o Editing books and other department relate products
o Manage authors, freelancers, editors, and outside designers. Setting expectations, project timelines, and efficiently producing timely publications and products. Also, facilitate ordering of complimentary and faculty advisor copies.
o Management of AIHA University eLibrary. This includes determining titles to be included on the site and troubleshooting technical issues with vendor.
o Develop relationships with outside organizations through publishing / distribution agreements to cross promote/ sell one another’s publications, expanding offerings and increasing revenue streams.
o Identify and evaluate new publications product opportunities and blending publications with virtual formats, where possible. Work with Publications Committee to determine possible new resale titles.
o Process royalties for applicable publications.
o Register publications with the U.S. Copyright Office/Library of Congress.
o Order ISBN numbers when necessary.
– Work closely with Education Team on developing educational offerings and related publications.
– Works with marketing team, to promote publications/ products. Creating constant strategic messaging through spring catalog and various other media (Google adwords/LinkedIn-sponsored posts, eNews, newsletters, postcards, etc.) and the AIHA Marketplace (overseeing content, visual appeal and functionality).
– Maintain publication-related data in association database. This includes the setup of new products, creation of price and promotion codes (ensuring that there aren’t multiple promos on the same title at the same time), and deactivation/removal from the Marketplace of products that are no longer sold.
– Identify gaps in our current publications and offering new opportunities to members
– Responsible for developing and monitoring budgets, related to publications/ AIHA Press. This includes determining pricing, processing publication royalties, managing inventory, and monthly sales reports to ensure proper budgeting. Assists other departments with the pulling of sales data and offer analysis, to ensure fact-based decision-making processes.
– Work with International Affairs Committee/outside groups to determine publications to be considered for translation and facilitate the entire process (this includes contract development).
– Liaising with:
- The Publications Committee, i.e. creating agendas, scheduling conference calls; taking minutes and maintain their roster; order special awards and coordinating resale books
- Volunteer groups in order to develop and update AIHA publications.
– Other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience
– Bachelor’s degree in marketing or communication
o Minimum of 3-5 years related experience and/or training
o Exceptional proofreading and copyediting skills
o Association experience
o Project Management experience
To Truly Excel, You Will Have:
– A big picture thinker who is also is a “doer”
– A focus on keeping projects and people organized and moving towards a common goal/deadline while also maintaining standards and best practices
– Strong customer service and interpersonal skills
– Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, follow-through, and the ability to multi-task
– Experience leading project teams
– Be a quick learner who isn’t afraid of technology
– Be able to work independently, manage groups of volunteers and co-workers, and establish/meet deadlines
Travel may be required for this position.