Check with your school’s Internship Coordinator BEFORE accepting the hiring offer to determine if this position satisfies the criteria for receiving academic credit.
Full Job Description
Mission Concept: “Strengthen Our Red Cross Workforce”
Fall 2021 Unpaid Internships
The content of this listing is in accordance with all applicable employment laws. While this is an unpaid internship, we offer College or University credit. Preference is given to those with an academic requirement for an internship.
- Eligibility: You must be enrolled in an Undergraduate or Graduate degree program at the time of the internship.
- Preferred Majors: Human Resources, Organizational Psychology, Behavioral Psychology, Public Policy and Administration, Nonprofit Management, Business Administration, Psychology, Sociology, or related majors.
- Preferred Grade Levels: Undergraduate Junior, Undergraduate Senior, and Graduate level.
- Duration: Monday, September 13 – Friday, December 17
About the Mission Concept
The American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors.
This mission concept is for resourceful students interested in team-building and wanting to help create the strategic direction for developing, engaging, and retaining a highly effective and satisfied workforce through the utilization of volunteers, interns, and employees.
Because the American Red Cross Greater New York Region has multiple internship opportunities we’ve grouped them by “Mission Concepts,” which is a work area that will allow you to narrow your interest to make it easier to select your ideal internship. If this Mission Concept fits your educational and career goals, view all the internship opportunities below.
Intern, Volunteer Recruitment Support – You’ll support the goals of volunteer recruitment which is to increase volunteer capacity with talents, committed and diverse individuals who match the diversity of the communities we serve. Projects may include:
- Working in partnership with various Red Cross departments and external partners
- Researching new avenues for recruitment as well as conducting outreach to community organizations
- Developing and implementing new, creative recruiting strategies.
- Supporting recruitment events and visiting recruitment sites as needed
- Helping to further development new Recruitment Champions Program
- Conducting outreach to Prospective Volunteers/responding to email
Our Ideal Candidate
Our ideal candidate is a mission-focused Undergraduate or Graduate student seeking a meaningful internship experience who has the following qualities:
- Detail Oriented
- Strong Communicator
- Team Builder/Player
- Strategic Thinker
- No-task-is too-small attitude
What You’ll Learn
In our region, you will enjoy a collaborative work culture committed to the diversity of our people, programs, and services. You’re learning and development will include:
- Relationship Building
- Organizational Management
- Training and mentoring from subject matter experts
- Volunteer Engagement, Management & Administration
- A deeper awareness of the Humanitarian Mission of the American Red Cross
- Cultivation of Cultural Competence and Inclusion
Being involved in projects critical to the day-to-day work of our non-profit organization, gaining an insider’s perspective on the Red Cross humanitarian mission as well as service delivery at the local and national levels.
- Access to subject matter experts in the fields of Nonprofit Management, Nonprofit Fundraising, Emergency Management, Communications, Social Media, Disaster Relief, and much more.
- Access to our exclusive online database of professional development courses.
- Additional service projects with direct impact in communities within our Greater New York Region.
Our offices are temporarily closed pending return to in person work in October 2021.