Diversity of backgrounds, ideas, thoughts, and experiences is vital to our culture and the way we do business. Creating an environment where differences are embraced and where every person feels engaged and included makes us safer, stronger, and more successful.
With a history dating back to 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly traded water and wastewater utility company. The company employs more than 7,000 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to 15 million people in 46 states. American Water provides safe, clean, affordable and reliable water services to our customers to help make sure we keep their lives flowing. For more information, visit amwater.com and follow American Water on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
Responsible for the compilation and analysis of accounting/financial information for the American Water subsidiaries as assigned, and the maintenance of complete and accurate subsidiary general ledgers. Primarily supports the Treasury Accounting functional team. Assists in the consolidation process and provides reporting support and other services to the External Reporting, Financial Analysis and Decision Support, Budgeting and Internal Reporting, Tax and Rates
Support/Regulatory Operations teams.
- Prepares journal entries and assists in analyzing financial results and variances, ensuring completeness and accuracy of the subsidiary general ledgers.
- Prepares account reconciliations, including the timely investigation and resolution of discrepancies and reconciling items.
- Provides reporting support, information and analysis to assist in consolidation and the External Reporting team’s fulfillment of the Company’s quarterly and annual SEC reporting requirements.
- Participates in the annual audits (both the consolidated and subsidiary audits) and assists in the preparation of quarterly and annual subsidiary financial statements and state commission reporting requirements, ensuring compliance with US GAAP, state-specific utility regulation, internal controls and Company policies and practices.
- Assists the Rates Support team in fulfilling rate case requests and analyses for filings and/or other reporting requirement reports.
- Interfaces/liaises with the Financial Analysis and Decision Support, Budgeting and Internal Reporting, Cash/Treasury, Accounts Payable, Call Center Operations and Tax teams, providing information on accounting and reporting matters and assistance in interpreting and analyzing financial results.
- Assists with special projects and initiatives to optimize the effectiveness of existing business applications, technologies and systems and to build efficiencies/improvements into current business processes.
- Assists in the refinement and maintenance of the accounting/financial policies, practices, internal controls and operating procedures to ensure the integrity of the Company’s internal control structure
- Two to four years of relevant experience required.
- Prior public accounting, corporate and/or multi-subsidiary company experience a plus.
- Prior Treasury experience a plus.
- Prior experience working in the utility industry and knowledge of regulatory accounting a plus.
- Knowledge and prior experience working with SAP, Microsoft AX, PowerPlant, Hyperion, Blackline, SharePoint a plus.
- Knowledge of U.S. GAAP and the ability to apply principles and practices to accounting matters.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office products (Excel, Word, PowerPoint); knowledge of advanced Microsoft Excel functionalities (i.e. pivot and look-up tables, etc.) a plus.
- Strong written and oral communication skills with proven ability to interact effectively with internal customers and external professionals (i.e. auditors).
- Excellent analytical, systemic and problem solving skills, including the ability to work in teams or effectively work independently.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with an emphasis on initiative, knowledge sharing, team building and decision making.
- Three to six years professional experience.
- Prior corporate and/or multi-subsidiary experience desired.
- One to three years prior experience in the utility, shared service or multi-company corporation industry plus.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance required.
- Standard office environment