Diversity of backgrounds, ideas, thoughts, and experiences is vital to our culture and the way we do business. Creating an environment where differences are embraced and where every person feels engaged and included makes us safer, stronger, and more successful.
With a history dating back to 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly traded water and wastewater utility company. The company employs more than 7,000 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to 15 million people in 46 states. American Water provides safe, clean, affordable and reliable water services to our customers to help make sure we keep their lives flowing. For more information, visit amwater.com and follow American Water on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
The Accounting Intern will contribute to the efforts of the Accounting department in our efforts to serve our subsidiary companies and parent company. Will work closely with accounting professionals on journal entries, account reconciliations, financial reporting support, financial statements and more. This is a highly technical accounting environment that reaches beyond GAAP to include entry requirements tied to utility regulatory activities.
The internship position will include working on the following:
- Complex journal entries.
- Account reconciliations.
- Assist with financial statements and financial reporting.
- Provide information related to financial audits.
- Collaborate with staff in various departments including Rates & Regulatory, Financial Analysis & Decision Support, Budgeting & Internal Reporting, Cash/Treasury, Accounts Payable, and Tax.
- Special projects as assigned.
- Functional / Technical Skills
- Learning on the Fly
- Organizational Agility
- Problem Solving
- Time Management
- Basic knowledge of accounting principles and practices.
- Strong organizational skills.
- High level of drive / motivation.
- Effective communication skills.
- Proficient in Excel and Microsoft Office programs.
- Pursuing a degree in Accounting or Finance.
- 3.0 or higher GPA.