Lead Account Specialist
Diversity of backgrounds, ideas, thoughts, and experiences is vital to our culture and the way we do business. Creating an environment where differences are embraced and where every person feels engaged and included makes us safer, stronger, and more successful.
With a history dating back to 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly traded water and wastewater utility company. The company employs more than 7,000 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to 15 million people in 46 states. American Water provides safe, clean, affordable and reliable water services to our customers to help make sure we keep their lives flowing. For more information, visit amwater.com and follow American Water on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
PLEASE NOTE: In order for American Water to evaluate decisions about new regulations, reintegration, and safe operating practices, all employees are required to report their vaccination status.
The Lead Account Specialist will apply understanding and knowledge of PTP’s transactions, systems, and services to meet business needs. Analyze all Accounts Payable transactions and related data to ensure compliance, timeliness, and accuracy of payments. Collaborate with internal clients and external customers to continually evaluate efficiency opportunities or make enhancement recommendations within current PTP systems and services. Prepares ad hoc and ongoing reports for the department while continually evaluating and recommending improved reports. Maintain and update department’s Policies and Practices (including staff training). Aid in delivering quality service to the PTP’s customers. Assists with ensuring all of Accounts Payable’s transactions are processed in accordance with USGAAP, SOX, regulatory and tax policies, and internal policy and procedures. Delivers excellent customer service to Accounts Payable’s internal clients and external customers. Analyzes GR IR Balances. Performs other assigned Accounts Payable tasks under the direction of Accounts Payable management.
- Monitors aging PTP transactions in workflow and troubleshoot
- Validates transactions are processed in accordance with USGAAP, SOX, regulatory and tax policies, and internal policy and procedures.
- Reconciles sub ledger account activity to the general leger. Processes correcting journal entries.
- Addresses, resolves, and/or escalates supplier/customer inquiries
- Analyzes vendor statements
- Prepares ad hoc and ongoing reports for the department, while consistently evaluating and recommending improved reporting reports.
- Assists with month end closing, by calculating accruals, preparing journal entries and performing miscellaneous A/P reconciliations as requested
- Assists with new process implementations.
- Identifies and suggests implementation of process and system enhancements to continuously improve operations.
- Maintains and updates Department Policies/Practices
- Must be detail oriented with the ability to demonstrate a high degree of accuracy
- Ability to assess problems, resolve or escalate issues as necessary
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills with attention to detail
- Strong problem solving, planning, and organization skills, including ability to multi-task, and prioritize in a fast paced environment
- Must have the ability to interact diplomatically and respectfully with co-workers, customers, and department management
- Solid understanding of Accounts Payable Department’s practices and processes.
- Advanced knowledge and use of office productivity tools (MS Office, Lotus Notes, etc.)
- Strong experience with Accounts Payable software/systems.
- Minimum two years prior job related experience preferred or a relevant business degree.
- Utilities industry experience a plus
- SAP, Great Plains, Open Text, or ImageNow experience a plus
- Unclaimed property software – Tracker a plus
- 3-way match invoice resolution a plus 1099 tax from experience a plus
- Travel and expense reimbursement or purchasing card processing a plus
- High school diploma minimum; Two-year Associates degree in Accounting or related field preferred or equivalent relevant job experience required
- No experience required with a relevant business Bachelor’s degree