About the Organization
Appalachia Service Project, Inc. (ASP) is a Christian ministry, open to all people, that that inspires hope and service through volunteer home repair and replacement in Central Appalachia. ASP is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization. Using the skills and efforts of thousands of volunteers, ASP provides home repair and replacement to low-income households in Central Appalachia.
ASP staff have a personal commitment to Christian faith and service to others. In a spirit of Christian love and service, ASP accepts people right where they are, just the way they are.
ASP is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. No one will be denied employment on the grounds of age, race, color, national origin, sex, family status or differing physical or mental ability. Employment decisions will be based on merit, qualifications, and ability to perform the duties of the position for which employment is sought.
About the Position
We are seeking an experienced Construction Project Manager to plan and oversee all aspects of residential home construction. Project managers are responsible for planning and overseeing new construction projects to ensure they are completed in a timely fashion and within budget. This position works as part of a team to prepare budgets, keep track of materials, collaborate with subcontractors, ensure permit acquisition, code compliance, guarantee quality of each project, and keep stakeholders informed the entire way.
The Project Manager will be hiring and managing subcontractors, collecting bids, pulling permits, and keeping track of an inventory of equipment and materials. This individual ideally would have previous experience in construction management projects and be knowledgeable of codes and permits required. The ideal applicant will be highly organized, with the ability to plan ahead and multitask to meet deadlines and keep projects under budget. This position is full time exempt, reporting to the New Build Construction Superintendent and is located in or around Johnson City, TN.
Key Responsibilities include:
– Manage all aspects relative to ASP new home construction
– Schedule and execute construction operations for multiple projects at once
– Ensure worksite safety, tidiness, and quality assurance
– Train and mentor an ASP fellow regarding construction operations
– Collaborate with subcontractors, architects, and key team members of the project team
– Gather bids from material suppliers and subcontractors
– Obtain the appropriate permits and licenses from authorities for construction sites
– Ensure compliance with safety regulations and building codes
– Ensure all deadlines are met
– Hire subcontractors and laborers where needed
– Ensure supplies and equipment are ordered and delivered according to schedule
– Keep all stakeholders aware of the progress on projects and prepare progress reports regularly
– Handle any environmental or local community issues that may come up during a project
– Manage volunteers on the worksite
– Conduct site visits to monitor progress and quality standards
– Assess applicants’ current houses to determine salvageability and estimate costs
– Keep track of inventory, tools, and equipment
– Delegate appropriately
– Other duties as assigned by supervisor to ensure the smooth-running operation of ASP programs and missional success.
– 3 years previous work experience in construction management or another similar role
– Excellent knowledge of construction materials and equipment
– Extensive previous work experience managing budgets for construction projects
– Able to multitask with a strong understanding of core manager duties
– Excellent communication skills and interpersonal abilities, including negotiation skills
– Highly organized, ability to plan ahead, attention to detail and ability to work well in a team
– Conflict resolution and conflict management experience
– Excellent time management ability
– Experience hauling trailers, operating small equipment such as a skid steer
– Excellent knowledge of relevant codes and regulations as well as quality standards, safety and human resources
– Previous experience in a leadership role with strong and proven leadership skills
– Valid driver’s license and driving record that is acceptable to ASP’s insurer
– May require lifting items (boxes, materials) weighing up to 30 pounds
– Regional travel is expected, some overnights may be necessary
– This role may require occasional weekend or holiday work
– Satisfactory results on a thorough background check
Salary and Benefits
ASP provides a market-based salary and generous employee benefits program including:
– Salary based on education and experience.
– Medical and dental insurance are provided by ASP. Details of coverage to be provided prior to employment.
– Enrollment in ASP retirement plan per plan requirements. Details to be provided prior to employment.
– Phone and laptop provided for work use (if required for job performance)
– ASP vehicle available for frequent local and regional business travel
15 days paid annually for the first two years.
20 days paid annually after two years.
25 days paid annually after eight years.
10 paid holidays. Christmas break, which is counted as one holiday, begins December 26 and ends January 2.
12 paid sick days per year.
CEO has the authority to close the office at any time due to inclement weather.