Applegreen USA is in a rapid growth phase and is seeking to recruit a staff accountant for the finance team. The staff accountant’s role is working with the finance leads and finance managers in the production and review of the income statement and balance sheet for the USA operations while also supporting finance transformation projects and implementing best in class financial processes across the function.
The successful candidate will be a confident finance professional with excellent technical skills, an ability and desire to learn and grow, possess strong people skills and adapts well to change
The role which reports to the South Carolina Finance Lead and will form a critical position within a dynamic and rapidly changing team. This role is critical to ensuring we are able to provide quality, timely and accurate financial information to our operational regional leads to drive continuous improvement in our day to day operations while also supporting the group reporting requirements and deadlines.
- Assist in the monthly financial statement close process.
- Analysis of financial data to understand key business performance drivers and where issues are identified, managing the resolution through continuous improvement initiatives
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with the operations team operating as a finance business partner proactively driving the performance of the stores/ region
- Ensure quality control over financial transactions and financial reporting
- Manage and comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings
- Reviewing general ledger accounts and preparing any needed adjusting journal entries
- Performing account analysis and reconciliations of key general ledger accounts
- Posting monthly, quarterly, and yearly accruals
- Assist in the preparation of the budget and financial forecasts and report variances
- Support in completing the audit process
- Streamlining and improving processes within Applegreen
- Additional duties as necessary including adhoc project work
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in tax, accounting, or finance
- Plans to work towards CPA or CMA or Professional Accountancy Qualification preferred
Experience & Skills
- Prior accounting and finance experience preferred
- Detail oriented
- Thorough knowledge of accounting principles and procedures
- Experience with creating financial statements
- Experience with general ledger functions and the month-end/year end close process
- Strong accounting software user and administration skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (both verbal and written) and the ability to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization
- Demonstrate strong analytical capability to interpret and challenge data and to interrogate financial systems
- High level of understanding and use of Microsoft Excel, Word, Teams, and SharePoint
- Ability to learn and adapt to the ever-changing work environment.
- Excellent drive, enthusiasm and commitment and a keen interest in developing a career in Applegreen
- Personal integrity when working with personal and sensitive financial information
- A ‘can do’ attitude and a positive solution focused mindset
- A highly organized individual with ability to plan and organize own workload effectively for maximum impact and who is flexible and adaptable around changing business needs
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team as well as with an outsourced provider to achieve tight deadlines and prioritize tasks
Established in Ireland in 1992, Applegreen is a convenience food and beverage retailer and operator of gas fillings stations and travel plazas with a major presence in the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the USA.
The Group is focused on acquiring and developing new travel plazas and gas filling station sites in each of the three markets in which it operates. As at 31 December 2019, the business operated 556 locations and employed 11,500 people.
Applegreen first entered the US market in 2014 through the acquisition of a number of locations on Long Island, NY. Since then the US division has made 3 major acquisitions in South Carolina, Florida and the Mid West bringing the total locations in the US to 200 with a 2,000 staff count.
In July 2019 Applegreen expanded its U.S. presence by acquiring a 40% stake in CT Service Plazas, consisting of 23 on-highway facilities in Connecticut, for approximately $37.6 million.
More recently, this month Applegreen confirmed they are part of the Empire State Thruway Partners Consortium. The consortium has been awarded a conditional 33-year lease for the design, construction, financing, operation and maintenance of the 27 motorway service areas on the New York State Thruway.