The Computer Vision and Remote Sensing Group at Applied Research Associates, Inc. (ARA) is looking for applied scientists and engineers to join our team operating at the forefront of Computer Vision technology applied to satellite and drone imagery. We collaborate with world-renowned universities in computer vision, photogrammetry, and remote sensing to find innovative solutions to difficult real-world problems in United States Intelligence and Defense communities. Candidates with an entrepreneurial spirit who seek a research career within a stable industry work environment are highly encouraged to apply.
Staff Research Scientist, Computer Vision and Remote Sensing Position highlights:
- Design and implement solutions for difficult real-world application areas as 3D modeling of cities from satellite and drone data, fusing satellite imagery from multiple sources, atmospheric correction, and more
- Work closely with world-renowned universities in computer vision, photogrammetry, and remote sensing
- Cross-train with a highly-collaborative, multi-disciplinary team of engineers, scientists, and developers passionate about technology
- Opportunity for professional growth and strong mentorship
Staff Research Scientist, Computer Vision and Remote Sensing Required qualifications:
- Eligibility to apply for and hold a U.S. security clearance (selected applicants will undergo a security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements at the time of employment)
- BS in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or similar technical field along with 2-4 years of relevant experience
- Familiarity with 3D coordinate systems and manipulating 3D data
- Please see our similar career postings in the Computer Vision and Remote Sensing group for other experience levels (Mid-Level, Senior).
- Programming experience in Python, C, or C++
- Team player with strong presentation and written/oral communication skills
Staff Research Scientist, Computer Vision and Remote Sensing Desirable Qualifications:
- Master’s in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or similar technical field along with 1+ years of experience with demonstrated technical algorithm development
- Experience with satellite imagery, aerial imagery, photogrammetry, or atmospheric correction
- Experience developing geospatial applications
- Experience with Computer Vision techniques such as SLAM, camera calibration, or stereo image processing
- Experience with machine learning
- Experience working on intelligence and DoD programs
- Prior/existing security clearance
Applied Research Associates, Inc. (aka ARA) is an employee-owned international research and engineering company known for providing technically superior solutions to complex and challenging problems in the physical sciences. We were founded in Albuquerque, NM in 1979 as the disco era was, thankfully, closing out and the personal computer era was beginning. We employ over 1,400 professionals and continue to grow. ARA offices throughout the U.S. and Canada provide a broad range of technical expertise in defense, civil, and health technologies, computer software and simulation, systems analysis, environmental technologies, and testing and measurement. Around ARA you are equally likely to hear a conversation about Kubernetes clusters as you are a debate on merits of a reverse polish notation (RPN) versus polish notation (PN) in numerical programming!
While this is all of the Year One and Beyond stuff, Day One is highly impressive too. These are things like our competitive salary (DOE), Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) & 401(k) with matching program, benefits package which includes medical, dental vision, flex spending, telehealth services, company-paid life & disability insurance including paid maternity disability leave through our company-paid short-term disability benefit, domestic partner coverage, dependent care flex spending, daycare discounts, pet insurance, relocation opportunities, floating holidays, tuition reimbursement, professional development as well as flexible schedules with remote/work from home options. ARA also prides ourselves on having a challenging culture where innovation & experimentation are the norm. At ARA, employees are our greatest assets, so we give our employees the tools, training, and opportunities to take active roles as owners. The motto, “Engineering and Science for Fun and Profit” sums up the ARA experience. The company realizes employee ownership spawns greater creativity and initiative along with higher performance and customer satisfaction levels.
ARA is passionate about inclusion and diversity in our workplace. In 2018 40% of our new employees voluntarily self-identified as protected veterans. (Source-AAP EOY 2018 Veterans Data Collection Report). We are also very proud of our Women’s Initiative Network (WIN) whose purpose is to motivate, support, and encourage professional career development for women to maximize career and professional accomplishments. Additionally, the Southeast Division looks not only for the right skills, but also for a cultural fit. We seek colleagues who will contribute to the unique culture that makes ARA such a great place to work. Some of the social impact aspects we have implemented at our division include monthly get-togethers, team outings to local baseball games in the summer, board game lunches, holiday party, corn hole tournaments, chili cook-offs and so on. For additional information and an opportunity to join this unique workplace, please apply at careers.ara.com.