Intern Job Description
This is what it means to be an Intern at Ashoka: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWDCtlCQkCw.
In 1981, Ashoka changed the framework of the social sector, by introducing the idea that there is nothing more powerful than a bold, new idea in the hands of an exceptional entrepreneur. We have built a fellowship of leading social entrepreneurs: people who catalyze an irreversible social change through an innovative idea and encourage others to do the same. Our network of Fellows is now over 3000 innovators strong and spans 85 countries. In addition, the field and profession of Social Entrepreneurship has grown into a global force.
Ashoka Fellows are the core of our community, and their insights show us how the world is moving and what is needed next. Examples of Ashoka Fellows include:
- Mohammed Yunus (Nobel Peace Prize Winner 2007)
- Kailash Sayarthi (Nobel Peace Prize Winner 2015)
- Katherine Lucey (Founder of Solar Sister)
- Wendy Kopp (Founder of Teach for America)
- Jimmy Wales (Founder of Wikipedia)
- Casey Fenton (Founder of CouchSurfing)
We’re setting out to change the frame again. This time, we want everyone to understand how to succeed and be a force for good in a rapidly changing world. If you are an entrepreneurial student with a desire to be a part of this historic movement, we want you to join our team.
Join the Global Venture and Fellowship team to support our worldwide network of Ashoka Fellows.
Global Venture and Fellowship Position
You will work on the Global Venture and Fellowship team and report to the Director of Fellowship. You will learn about social entrepreneurship, project management, network engagement, partnership development, nonprofit administration, and corporate social responsibility.
For Fall 2021, responsibilities may include:
Project management, from a global hub for an international non-profit:
- Support our global network of over 30 country offices with the Ashoka Fellowship selection process and global communications
- Contribute to new global initiatives within the Fellowship selection process
- Support the new online Ashoka Fellows’ Directory, including helping with communications, gathering feedback for version 2.0, etc.
Communications & Fundraising:
- Research and help develop engagement strategies for potential partners for Venture programming, including corporations, foundations, and campaign opportunities
- Edit and publish analyses of Ashoka Fellows
- Write surveys, stories, and reports to engage internal and external audiences
- Research content for and draft email blasts to prospects, donors, supporters, and other interested parties using Dotmailer
- Interview or research donors, staff, or Fellows for blog posts
- Provide support for on-going fundraising activities including prospect research, grant research and drafting, and marketing
- Proficient with MS Office and Google Office Suite
- Graphic design skills highly desired
- Changemaking track record (i.e., experience in creating an idea, building team, and affecting change in his/her community)
- A demonstrated interest in social entrepreneurship
- Ability to easily adapt to a constantly changing environment and meet deadlines
- Ability to work collaboratively within and across teams
- A self-starter with a strong work ethic, positive outlook, and professionalism
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Attention to detail and ability to manage competing priorities
- Major or minor in Social Entrepreneurship (not required but encouraged)
- Part-time (minimum 20 hours/week) or full-time
- September 2021 – December 2021 (start & end dates are flexible)
- Internship is remote