- West Henrietta, NY
- Responsible for supporting the overall management of a specific product line(s) in the Life Sciences, including consolidation of product offering throughout division, product adds and deletes, establishing list pricing, web and print catalog design, final approval of new products, performing SKU analysis, setting direction for new products through exclusive vendor relationships and working with product development team, driving proprietary and private labeled product lines, and performing detailed product line analysis by customer type within each brand. Works closely with Brand Managers to develop overall product offering in catalogs and direct mail.
MAJOR JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (List in order of importance)
Product and Vendor Management:
- Manage product master data for new and existing products.
- Final approval for acceptance of all new products from existing vendors.
- Drive sourcing efforts with new vendors.
- Establishes suggested list price for products carried in multiple brands and all proprietary and private labeled products.
- Detailed review and analysis of competitor product offering.
- Supports overall category and marketing team with business analysis including:
- Monthly analysis of sales trends by product group, customer segment and geography.
- Ensure compliance with state and federal and international rules governing distribution of preserved specimens.
- Responsible for maintaining and growing overall gross margin dollars for product line.
- Manage development of new manufactured products including R&D of preservation and packaging.
- Assists Managers with product selection and overall presentation of product line.
- Makes recommendations and reviews final page assignments and overall flow of catalog and direct mail with Category/Brand Managers.
- Edits and contributes adds and deletes to all catalogs.
- Support enhancement to product pages through addition of SDS and other resources.
- Provides content and input to enhance the web experience
Customer and Sales Support:
- May provide training and lead workshops/webinars for sales team related to product lines.
- Provide technical support for Science Help/Sales team
- May support tradeshows with product selection, packaging, and staffing.
- Identifies opportunities and provides recommendation to Managers and Sales Team.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS (Education/Training, Experience and Certifications)
- Bachelor’s degree in a field of Science (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Earth Science); significant experience may be considered in lieu of degree
- 2-5+ years of applicable experience in catalog/product line management
- Experience with teaching science at the high school level or above/below (dependent upon product portfolio) preferred
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES (Those necessary to perform the job competently)
- Preferred knowledge of products used in science teaching labs or classrooms
- Product Line or Catalog Management: must have strong knowledge of SKU management (some of these skills can be acquired through specialized training or on-the-job experience)
- Decision making skills: gathering and analysis of relevant facts, strong questioning skills, and willingness to make decisions are critical in this position
- Analytical skills: must be comfortable with Excel, database management, and data manipulations; decisions made in this position are dependent upon being able to analyze sales trends, market information, and projections based on past results
- Communication skills: critical that this person possess strong communication skills in order to operate effectively (these skills are normally acquired through on-the-job experiences)
- Market knowledge: one should possess a strong knowledge of the education market
ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL EFFORT (Under Typical Positions)
- Typically works in an office environment with adequate lighting and ventilation and a normal range of temperature and noise level.
- Work assignments are diversified. Examples of past precedent are used to resolve work problems. New alternatives may be developed to resolve problems.
- A frequent volume of work and deadlines impose strain on routine basis.
- Minimal physical effort is required. Work is mostly sedentary but does require walking, standing, bending, reaching, lifting or carrying objects that typically weigh less than 10 lbs.