The Tactical Solutions Strategic Business Unit delivers mission system solutions, from specialized antennas to electro-optical technologies, to the warfighter. Our systems enhance the performance of various military platforms, from aircraft and land vehicles to ships and satellites, and give warfighters the advantage they need to take action, identify targets and defend against evolving threats.
We’re committed to building a more diverse and representative Ball Aerospace. The GO BEYOND® Diversity Internship is a paid fall internship program for undergraduate and graduate students who are enrolled in degree-seeking programs and interested in working in the Aerospace industry. Students from any university who identify with a group that is historically underrepresented, including but not limited to Black, Hispanic, Asian, Native American, and women/gender minorities, are encouraged to apply.
Technical Intern – Tactical Mission Analyst Modeling & Simulation
Do you love solving problems and have a passion to understand how things work? Does learning new fields and applying your analytical skills to real-life problems sound like your dream job? If so, you might be the undergraduate intern that Ball Aerospace is seeking to support our mission analysis team. Join our small, collaborative team working on exciting new problems in the defense world to help the warfighter and to help bring our troops home safely. This is an opportunity to use and develop many of the tools in your toolbox, including mathematics, coding, and public speaking. Our agile, tight-knit group chooses what we work on from a list of new, interesting, and challenging problems. By applying mathematics and first-principles physics, we solve difficult engineering problems across a wide span of technologies and disciplines.
Based in Westminster, Colorado, Ball Aerospace Tactical Solutions applies radio frequency and electro-optical technologies to the nation’s defense needs. With over 60 years of heritage, our products are installed on an ever-growing list of our nation’s platforms.
What You’ll Do:
- Generate MATLAB models of system performance using our simulation framework and first-principles physics.
- Develop MATLAB code for simulation framework and data processing using GIT version control.
- Write unit tests for new methods and increase overall framework coverage.
- Identify algorithm improvements necessary to expand simulation capability.
- Determine if a system can accomplish its mission in a variety of complex scenarios based on simulated model.
- Learn new fields and technologies while identifying the appropriate level of model fidelity required.
- Present and defend your analysis to peers, management, and customers.
- Assist with meeting project milestones and providing solutions to a variety of technical problems.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- Must have completed your sophomore or junior year and be enrolled in a degree-seeking programs. We will also accept students enrolled in a graduate program.
- Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Excellent analytical, mathematical, and communication skills, as well as knowledge of MATLAB and object-oriented programming.
- Interest or knowledge in electromagnetics, antennas, RF technology, optics, signal processing, and/or electronic warfare is preferred.
- Degree program in Physics, Engineering Physics, Applied Physics, or Computer Science preferred with coursework or dual-major in Applied Math or Electrical Engineering.
- Work is performed in an office environment, laboratory, cleanroom, or production floor.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $19.30 – $27.50 per hour (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- Temporary positions typically are not eligible for benefits. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP MAY BE REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.