BETHEL HORIZONS FOUNDATION, INC – MADISON, WI
Job Description: Summer Musician
As the Summer Musician, this person is the lead resource person for all of camps musical demands. Must be able to play guitar. Should be comfortable with public speaking. Musician responsibilities include but are not limited to leading and planning a daily “campfire” (songs/skits), working with various groups with music (varies/adaptable to the wants of the musician) and assisting other staff as needed. Food and lodging are provided throughout the time of employment.
AUTHORITY AND RESPONSIBILITY
The Summer Musician is accountable to the Program Director for the quality and delivery of work produced.
PART-TIME/FULL-TIME: Seasonal Full-Time LOCATION: Bethel Horizons Camp and Retreat Center COMPENSATION: $240.00 per week.
1. Minimum 18 years of age
2. Suggested one year of college education or the equivalent in working life experience.
3. The ability to meet each camper where that camper is at with the four harmonies of Bethel Horizons: God, Self, Others and Nature.
4. Emotional maturity
5. Liking for children, ability to understand the needs of the campers, and the good judgment to place the needs of the campers and the camp ahead of personal desires.
6. Interest in contributing to the achievement of the objectives of the camp.
7. Ability to work as a member of a group or team.
1. Lead evening campfires, which includes planning and recording roughly an hours’ worth of songs and skits to perform each night, assigning staff to each skit, playing lead guitar for campfire songs, leading motions, and directing traffic around the campfire.
2. Managing the attention and focus of up to 50 attendants at a campfire through song, dance, and enthusiastic storytelling. Reciting traditional Bethel Horizons stories at the close of campfire.
3. Lead groups of campers with music activities
4. Take care of Bethel Horizons instruments, which include string, woodwind, and brass instruments, as well keyboards and percussion.
5. Assist with daily job assignments assigned at the beginning of the week.
6. Assist with children as necessary – behavior management and counselor relief.
7. Assist with putting children to bed after campfire as needed.
8. Other duties as assigned by summer Program Director and Program Coordinator.
ABOUT BETHEL HORIZONS: Bethel Horizons is a year-round facility located on more than 548 acres of prairie, forests, wet-lands and valleys bordering Governor Dodge State Park. Through its outdoor summer camp, retreat and event center, adventure courses and art education campus, it endeavors to develop and perpetuate a physical, social, intellectual, and spiritual environment which will strengthen and enhance the understanding of a person’s relation to God, Self, Others, and Nature. Horizons is affiliated with Bethel Lutheran Church-ELCA, Madison, Wisconsin and accredited by the American Camp Association. It is a member of Lutheran Outdoor Ministries, an association of ELCA camps across the country.
To apply, please go to http://www.bethelhorizons.org/who-we-are/employment/ and click on the link to fill out an application. If you have any questions, please contact James Marlow at email@example.com or call 608-807-7468.