BETHEL HORIZONS FOUNDATION, INC – MADISON, WI
Job Description: Summer Naturalist
As the Summer Naturalist, this person is the nature resource person for all summer groups. This position includes leading nature activities, providing counselors with resources they can use with their groups, and being a part of the Bethel Horizons community. Food and Lodging provided throughout the time of employment.
AUTHORITY AND RESPONSIBILITY
The Summer Naturalist is accountable to the Program Director for the quality and delivery of work produced.
PART-TIME/FULL-TIME: Seasonal Full-Time LOCATION: Bethel Horizons Camp and Retreat Center COMPENSATION: $240.00 per week.
1. Minimum 18 years of age
2. Suggested one year of college education or the equivalent in working life experience.
3. The ability to meet each camper where that camper is at with the four harmonies of Bethel Horizons: God, Self, Others and Nature.
4. Emotional maturity
5. Liking for children, ability to understand the needs of the campers, and the good judgment to place the needs of the campers and the camp ahead of personal desires.
6. Interest in contributing to the achievement of the objectives of the camp.
7. Ability to work as a member of a group or team.
1. Lead groups of campers on nature activities including pond studies, live animal programs, discovery hikes, tracking hikes, sensory hikes, cliff climbs, and others as this person’s experience allows.
2. Lead other specialty groups of sizes up to 40 in these same experiences.
3. Take care of Bethel Horizons animals which include different native and non-native species of the following but not limited to snakes, frogs, turtles, salamanders, and birds.
4. Maintain a clean Nature Center, which means at least a weekly cleaning.
5. Assist with daily job assignments assigned at the beginning of the week.
6. Assist with children as necessary – behavior management and counselor relief.
7. Assist with programs and campfires.
8. Assist the Environmental Education Director as needed.
9. Other duties as assigned by summer Program Director and Program Coordinator.
ABOUT BETHEL HORIZONS: Bethel Horizons is a year-round facility located on more than 548 acres of prairie, forests, wet-lands and valleys bordering Governor Dodge State Park. Through its outdoor summer camp, retreat and event center, adventure courses and art education campus, it endeavors to develop and perpetuate a physical, social, intellectual, and spiritual environment which will strengthen and enhance the understanding of a person’s relation to God, Self, Others, and Nature. Horizons is affiliated with Bethel Lutheran Church-ELCA, Madison, Wisconsin and accredited by the American Camp Association. It is a member of Lutheran Outdoor Ministries, an association of ELCA camps across the country.
To apply, please go to http://www.bethelhorizons.org/who-we-are/employment/ and click on the link to fill out an application. If you have any questions, please contact James Marlow at email@example.com or call 608-807-7468.