At Biogen, our mission is clear – we are pioneers in neuroscience. Biogen discovers, develops, and delivers worldwide innovative therapies for people living with serious neurological and neurodegenerative diseases. Together, our employees create, commercialize, and manufacture transformative therapies for our patient population.
We at Biogen are committed to building on our culture of inclusion and belonging that reflects the communities where we operate and the patients who we serve. We are focused on strengthening our foundation to advance our overall Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DE&I) strategy and, most importantly, ensure all our employees feel included.
As an intern or co-op at Biogen, you can expect to be placed on a real project, under the guidance of experienced professionals and subject matter experts who are invested in your career and academic growth. We also ensure that you have plenty of opportunities to build your network, learn more about our organization through weekly lunch and learns led by leaders from across the company, and join us for several fun events.
This position is a 6-month Co-op from January – June 2022
This role in Manufacturing Sciences will support Process Sciences labs on projects focused on upstream and downstream unit operations for Antisense oligonucleotide (ASO) and monoclonal antibody manufacturing (mAB). This position is expected to perform laboratory experiments and associated equipment turnaround or sample analysis under the direction of a senior scientist.
In this position you will facilitate interactions internally and cross-functionally (with Techincal Development, Technology transfer teams, Reg-CMC, and Quality) and across different sites (North America and Europe). You will also monitor the project’s manufacturing and quality aspects, including reviewing/analyzing technical data and documents and providing on-the-manufacturing floor support if needed. Evaluating new technologies and equipment, identifying and solving problems, working innovatively and fairly independently are key responsibilities of this position
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Supporting the process science lab in performing bioreactor and/or purification studies related to ASO or mABs. Responsible for running robustness, satellite runs, and support the production campaign. 50%
- Evaluation, development, and implementation of innovation initiatives that add value to the upstream and purification process and support other development studies in the lab – 40%
- Representing Process Sciences in cross-functional initiatives on internal technical development teams and external project line functions (TT teams)– 10%
- Grade point average of 3.2 or higher preferred
- Willingness and initiative to interact with internal and external team members
- Experience with SharePoint, Microsoft Teams, Skype, and Microsoft OneNote is a plus
To participate in the Biogen Internship Program, students must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Legal authorization to work in U.S.
- At least 18 years of age prior to the scheduled start date
- Be currently enrolled in an accredited college or university
An ongoing Bachelor’s student (3rd or 4th year) majoring in: Chemical Engineering, Bioengineering, Biology, Life Sciences, or Communication/Business