At Biogen, our mission is clear – we are pioneers in neuroscience. Biogen discovers, develops, and delivers worldwide innovative therapies for people living with serious neurological and neurodegenerative diseases. Together, our employees create, commercialize, and manufacture transformative therapies for our patient population.
We at Biogen are committed to building on our culture of inclusion and belonging that reflects the communities where we operate and the patients who we serve. We are focused on strengthening our foundation to advance our overall Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DE&I) strategy and, most importantly, ensure all our employees feel included.
As a co-op at Biogen, you can expect to be placed on a real project, under the guidance of experienced professionals and subject matter experts who are invested in your career and academic growth. We also ensure that you have plenty of opportunities to build your network, learn more about our organization through weekly lunch-and-learns led by leaders from across the company, and join us for several fun events.
This position is a 6-month Co-op lasting from January – June 2022
We have an exciting opening within Biogen’s Physical Biochemistry (PB) group for a Protein/RNA Scientist. This is a great opportunity to work with dedicated, innovative scientists focusing on small molecule drug discovery.
The primary focus of the role is to express and purify recombinant proteins, RNA, protein-RNA complexes as well as biochemically characterize protein-RNA interactions. In this role you will be part of a fast-paced and innovative environment actively pursuing unmet medical needs in the neuroscience space.
You should have experience in the following areas:
- Basic molecular biology including tagged and tagless construct design, cloning, sequence analysis, DNA/RNA quantification and manipulations methods such as PCR.
- Expression and purification of proteins from E. coli, insect or mammalian hosts.
- Expertise using Akta Express, Avant or equivalent protein purification instruments in a RNAse free environment.
- RNA generation through in vitro transcription and downstream HPLC or FPLC-based purification (desirable).
- Prior biochemistry experience in assessing protein-protein or protein-RNA interactions through setting up and troubleshooting EMSAs, HTRF, FP or SPR assays (desirable).
- Be curious, innovative, and willing to learn new techniques.
- Work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Be responsible, organized, and possess strong attention to detail.
- Possess strong time management and organizational skills.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
To participate in the Biogen Co-op Program, students must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S.
- At least 18 years of age prior to the scheduled start date.
- Be currently enrolled in an accredited college or university.
Masters or PhD student focusing in Biochemistry, Biophysics or related field.