At Biogen, our mission is clear – we are pioneers in neuroscience. Biogen discovers, develops, and delivers worldwide innovative therapies for people living with serious neurological and neurodegenerative diseases. Together, our employees create, commercialize, and manufacture transformative therapies for our patient population.
We at Biogen are committed to building on our culture of inclusion and belonging that reflects the communities where we operate and the patients who we serve. We are focused on strengthening our foundation to advance our overall Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DE&I) strategy and, most importantly, ensure all our employees feel included.
As an intern or co-op at Biogen, you can expect to be placed on a real project, under the guidance of experienced professionals and subject matter experts who are invested in your career and academic growth. We also ensure that you have plenty of opportunities to build your network, learn more about our organization through weekly lunch and learns led by leaders from across the company, and join us for several fun events.
This position is a 6-month Co-op lasting from January – June 2022.
In this role you will perform laboratory work developing general methods that could be used to enable early discovery activities. Two opportunities are available:
One as a member of the Chemistry Technology team, you will contribute to:
- The preparation of gram scale key scaffolds and intermediates to support the internal PMC efforts
- The parallel synthesis of focused/matrix libraries (single- or multi-step library procedures)
The second opportunity as a member of the Medicinal Chemistry team, you will:
- Work directly with a Med Chem team on an active and high priority program
- Expand the scope of a new transformation developed in our laboratories with the objective of enabling a scientific publication.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct multistep synthesis of library scaffolds with the supervisor’s assistance.
- Track and weigh reagents for parallel synthesis.
- Assist in the parallel synthesis of compound libraries.
- Characterize synthesized compounds by NMR and LCMS.
- Conduct scientific literature searches using databases such as SciFinder.
- Maintain an accurate and current record of experimental results in an electronic laboratory notebook.
- Participate in the research group and project meetings and communicate research results to the supervisor accurately and timely.
- Maintain high standards of laboratory safety in compliance with the Biogen safety manual.
- Undergraduate chemistry (organic chemistry will be preferred) major with a strong academic record.
- Completed at least two semesters of organic chemistry, including laboratory coursework.
- Familiar with standard analytical techniques (NMR, TLC, HPLC, mass spectroscopy).
- Strong communication skills.
- Experience with ChemDraw, Powerpoint, and Excel preferred.
- Performed independent undergraduate research preferred.
To participate in the Biogen Internship Program, students must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S.
- At least 18 years of age prior to the scheduled start date
- Be currently enrolled in an accredited college or university
- Graduate (PhD, Masters program) or undergraduate (Bachelors program) student who has completed at least 2 years of program
- Desired majors: Chemistry, Organic Chemistry