About This Role
This is an entry level position in the Process Biochemistry group. You will be responsible for design and execution of lab-scale protein purification process development studies, documenting and analyzing data from liquid chromatography studies using an electronic lab notebook, Excel, and Design Expert. The experiments you execute will support process development and improvements for therapeutic proteins to support early clinical all the way through commercial manufacturing. Critical thinking, problem solving, and collaborating with other functional groups within development are keys to success for this role.
What You’ll Do
- Hands-on performance and documentation of purification development experiments for recombinant protein purification using filtration and chromatography techniques (> 75%)
- Contribute to experimental planning based on experience and literature searches
- Collaboratively work with team members to ensure lab experiments are well-planned and executed
- Understand the properties of protein solutions and the tools needed to characterize them (e.g. UV-Vis spectroscopy, pH, conductivity, viscosity, UPLC, electrophoresis)
- Perform data analysis using Excel, Design Expert and other tools
- Troubleshoot experiments and lab equipment issues
- Document development work in an electronic lab notebook, concise reports and provide project updates via oral presentations
- Support lab maintenance tasks, lab harmonization and workflow optimizations
- Support new technology evaluations and innovation projects
Who You Are
The ideal candidate loves all aspects of downstream processing. You are passionate to advance a diverse pipeline of proteins (monoclonal antibodies, fusion proteins, bispecifics, conjugates) and work in a collaborative environment to develop processes with your fellow cell culture, purification, formulation, and manufacturing peers.
- Bachelor’s degree in a scientific discipline, such as Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, or related Biological Sciences.
- 0+ years of relevant experience.
- Requires basic knowledge of the fundamental theories, principles, and concepts of a scientific discipline
- Analyzes results of basic experiments, information and standard practices using established protocols and methodologies to solve routine problems
- Provides support on projects of varying size; demonstrates awareness of broader project objectives; contributes to sections of draft reports/publications
- Recognized as a developing technical contributor
- Familiarity with software tools (Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Teams, Outlook/Calendar) and time management techniques
Biogen’s Process Biochemistry team is a tight-knit and highly collaborative team focused on the development of robust purification processes for the manufacture of protein therapeutics. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone feels they belong, and all voices are heard.
Our mission to find therapies for neurological and rare diseases is a unique focus within our industry and this shared purpose is what connects us as a team. We work together to overcome obstacles and to follow the science. We are resilient as we strive to make an impact on our patients’ lives and on changing the course of medicine. Together, we pioneer. Together, we thrive.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.