Support and assist with various projects as assigned within Black Hills Energy’s Engineering Resources Department. These projects will be assigned consistent with the Company’s Internship Program with an emphasis on developing an understanding of the Company’s multiple business units and enhancing the intern’s ability to apply his/her education in a professional environment. You will work alongside professionals in your field, gaining in-depth knowledge about the energy industry and your chosen field of expertise. You will apply what you have learned in school to impactful projects within a publicly traded, multi-state utility and energy company. Learn more about our internship program here: https://careers.blackhillsenergy.com/students
PAY: $20.00 per hour (set by job function/department)
- Additional benefits include meaningful work, relocation benefits, intern week experience, casual dress code, plus you’ll earn 401k contributions during your internship.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Electrical Engineer
LOCATION: This position is located at our corporate headquarters in Rapid City, South Dakota.
- To learn more about our company, visit our internship page and locations page on our career website.
- Intern Relocation Adjustment Allowance of $1,000.00 is offered for the purpose of assisting with various expenses associated with your relocation for the internship (less applicable taxes and based on eligibility). Contents of our relocation program are subject to change and may vary based on position.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provide support to engineers on capital projects related to substation, protection, and transmission and distribution line engineering.
- Effectively prepare or review documentation with a high degree of accuracy and completeness using tools and templates available.
- Use structured problem-solving techniques and statistical methods for data driven analysis and decisions.
- Gather and analyze data from multiple sources in support of projects or initiatives
- Participate in the Company’s industry orientation experiences, which may include some travel and overnight stays. Prepare and present a synopsis of experience with the Company at the end of the internship.
- College junior or above working towards a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering. If you are a recent graduate, you must be within 1 year of your graduation date.
- No experience required.
- Basic knowledge of engineering principles.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to prepare and give presentations.
- Detail oriented and organized.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to communicate with employees and various business contacts in a professional and courteous manner.
MENTAL/PHYSICAL DESCRIPTIONS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The mental and physical descriptions are representative of the activities an employee in an office job performs. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Mental descriptions: Understand, remember, apply oral and/or written instructions or other information, and communicate routine factual information. Apply common sense in performing job functions, usually within a set of rules or guidelines.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee continuously accesses, inputs, and retrieves electronic information and communicates regarding the information. Employee frequently moves about the office space. Employee must be able to operate routine office equipment including computers and similar equipment. Must be able to routinely perform this work for an average of 6-8 hours per day and occasional extended hours as necessary. Must be capable of regular, reliable, and timely attendance.
Specific lifting abilities required by this job include: Light work. The employee is continuously moving about the job site or office space. Exerting up to 25 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. If the use of reaching and moving controls exertion of forces greater than that for sedentary work and the worker sits most of the time, the job is rated for light work.
Work environment: Routinely perform work indoors in climate-controlled shared work area with moderate noise level and occasionally outdoors in sometimes inclement weather. Worker may be subject to hazards including a variety of physical conditions such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, electrical current, working in places of height or close quarters. Willing to travel up to 10% (e.g. 2 days/month) by automobile (as driver and passenger), commercial airlines, rental vehicles and public transportation and be able to lodge in public facilities. Travel will be necessary to conduct the duties of this job and the employee must have proper licensing to operate a motor vehicle.
This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
About our Company: We are a customer focused, growth-oriented utility company that is devoted to our communities. We have a mission to improve life with energy and a vision to be the energy partner of choice. Our diverse culture sparks unique perspectives, opening doors to new ideas and possibilities. Based in Rapid City, South Dakota, we have over 2900 employees and serve 1.2 million natural gas and electric utility customers across eight states (South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and Arkansas).
Candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check.
Black Hills Corporation does not sponsor applicants for work visas. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US.
Black Hills Corporation is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or status as a protected veteran.