In this role you will directly support the Financial and Regulatory Manager in timely and accurate reporting of all financial data, including analyzing and providing financial reports and presentations required by company management, and operations as well as external stakeholders. Responsible for the development, analysis, interpretation and communication of statistical and accounting information relating to actual services provided, capital expenditures, and development of operating budgets, strategic plans and forecasts, project analysis development as well as related comparative reporting tools. Prepares and assists in presenting information for filings with the appropriate Commissions and/or regulatory body and internal decision making. Develop and implement process improvements to increase overall efficiency of accounting, analysis and reporting. Establish and maintain effective internal controls. Manage competing priorities and deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
SALARY RANGE: $69,800 – $104,800 (Determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.)
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Financial and Regulatory Manager
LOCATION: Our Corporate Headquarters in Rapid City, South Dakota
- You’ll find this is the ideal community to live, work and do business in. With hiking trails, the Black Hills, Mount Rushmore and Badlands National Park in your backyard, there are endless opportunities to enjoy nature. To learn more about our locations, please visit the locations page on our career website.
- A Comprehensive Relocation Plan is offered for this position! Our benefits include but are not limited to home finding trip, transportation of household goods, temporary housing expenses, destination apartment search assistance, paid time off to move, transition and spousal career support, home finder and purchase assistance, relocation adjustment allowance, destination new purchase closing costs. Depending on individual circumstances, our benefit may also include trips home during temporary housing, renter’s lease cancellation assistance, or home marketing and sale closing cost assistance and/or purchase closing cost assistance. Contents of our relocation program are subject to change and may vary based on position.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Use analytical skills to develop a solid understanding of various ratemaking policies and concepts, including revenue requirements, cost allocation, cost of service, rate of return, regulatory accounting and the time value of money
- Obtain, analyze and interpret Company financial and statistical data to be used in regulatory and financial reports, filings and studies. Present analytical conclusions (orally and in writing) to management, and other constituents in an organized, concise and timely fashion.
- Actively participate in the development and preparation of annual budgets, strategic plans and forecasts, and develop service billing matrices and methodologies. Development of segment templates and team financial reporting packets to facilitate and standardize the reporting process.
- Prepare the financial analysis activities and provide the analysis and interpretation of results to manager and upper management.
- Support all company efforts to ensure that the utilities within assigned jurisdiction(s) report accurate financial and operating information and receive adequate and timely recovery of its costs.
- Establish strong relationships across the company and with external partners to advance effective communication and coordination across departments and companies.
- Coordinate the preparation of reports for management operations review and regulatory reporting.
- Prepare the month end variance analysis process for upper management.
- Prepare and support business-specific research, analyze data, interpret results and make recommendations that align with Company policies and initiatives.
- Prepare and analyze reports for a variety of departments and external requests. Ensure information is accurate and presented in a useful and understandable format before timely distribution.
- Support complex data analysis to inform decision making, design and file financial models for concurrent cost recovery riders and adjustments clauses.
- Perform assigned duties in a professional manner to facilitate the objectives and goals of the Assist various internal task force groups in order to develop and implement the Company’s strategic action plans.
- Assist various internal task force groups in order to develop and implement the Company’s strategic action plans.
- Assist in the development of strategies and cost recovery mechanisms to help optimize company profitability.
- Participate in various internal and external stakeholder groups in order to develop and implement the Company’s strategic action plans.
- Provide financial reporting and analysis that serve as foundation for the development of rate strategies and rate design.
- Keep supervisor informed of project work status.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience in a finance or analyst position is required.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, such as Business, Accounting or Finance, Engineering or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
- Excellent user capabilities with MS Office software (proficiency in Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint. Experience working with database and collaborative software tools (Workiva, FileNet, Sharepoint, etc.) Experience working with Hyperion Essbase and Hyperion Planning a plus
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills, and the ability to perform complex analysis.
- Understanding of financial analysis.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Effective collaboration skills and excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage competing deadlines and priorities effectively within a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to apply strong attention to detail while understanding and considering the overall vision.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate difficult topics to various levels of financial and non-financial personnel.
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills, and the ability to perform complex analysis.
- Ability to demonstrate initiative and to work independently as well as with a team.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of business information.
MENTAL/PHYSICAL DESCRIPTIONS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The mental and physical descriptions are representative of the activities an employee in an office job performs. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Mental description: Understand, remember, apply oral and/or written instructions or other information, and communicate routine factual information. Apply common sense in performing job functions, usually within a set of rules or guidelines.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee continuously accesses, inputs, and retrieves electronic information and communicates regarding the information. Employee frequently moves about the office space. Employee may occasionally: push, pull and reach. Employee must be able to operate routine office equipment including computers and similar equipment. Must be able to routinely perform this work for an average of 6-8 hours per day and occasional extended hours as necessary. Must be capable of regular, reliable and timely attendance.
Specific lifting abilities required by this job include: Sedentary work. Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or continuously to lift, carry, push, pull or sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if moving about is only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
Work environment: Routinely perform work indoors in climate-controlled shared work area with moderate noise level. Willing to travel occasionally (less than 10 days per year) by automobile (as driver and passenger), commercial airlines, rental vehicles and public transportation and be able to lodge in public facilities.
This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
About our Company: We are a customer focused, growth-oriented utility company that is devoted to our communities. We have a mission to improve life with energy and a vision to be the energy partner of choice. Our diverse culture sparks unique perspectives, opening doors to new ideas and possibilities. Based in Rapid City, South Dakota, we have over 2900 employees and serve 1.2 million natural gas and electric utility customers across eight states (South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and Arkansas).
Enjoy our Comprehensive Benefits Package: annual incentive program (based on percentage of eligible earnings), 401(k) (6% company match and up to 9% company retirement contribution), tuition reimbursement, paid time off, additional Veteran PTO, military leave differential pay, paid holidays and annual floating holidays, company paid short term and long term disability, paid maternity and paternity benefits, health and wellness program, and competitive medical, dental and vision insurance.
Candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check.
Black Hills Corporation does not sponsor applicants for work visas. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US.
Black Hills Corporation is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or status as a protected veteran.