Performs all secretarial and receptionist functions necessary for the complete and efficient management of patients through the ambulatory facility, including the acquisition of necessary patient-care and records. Using the Department of Medicine’s standard greeting and appropriate telephone etiquette, answers all incoming telephone lines in a timely fashion. Adheres to divisional and departmental service standards related to telephone access to ensure that patients, referring physicians, and other customers can easily access the Practice by telephone. As centralized Department of Medicine staff you will be cross trained within the Dept. of Medicine specialties Divisions.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Indicate key areas of responsibility, major job duties, special projects and key objectives for this position. These items should be evaluated throughout the year and included in the written annual evaluation.
- Greets and assists patients when they check in & out of the clinic in a professional manner.
- Obtains or reviews their demographics & fiscal information
- Collects Co-Pays, enters payments and closes batch at the end of the day
- Prepares necessary documentation for scheduled patient appointments
- Answers patient’s telephone calls, correctly processing information or answering questions or solving problems.
- Schedules all appointments including ancillary testing and endoscopy procedures including preop testing
- Communications effectively and in a professional manner with patients regarding wait times
- Maintains general reception area, ensuring cleanliness and organization.
- Obtains prior authorizations.
- Adheres to Joint Commission and Department of Public Health regulations as well hospital and Departmental policies, such as: Attendance, Co-Pay and Dress Code.
- Performs other duties and tasks as requested by supervisors to ensure the efficient overall performance of the facility, maintaining flexibility regarding the occasional need for the staff coverage in other areas of the facility
- Centralized staff, which may include covering the front desk through-out the Division of Medicine, if needed.
- Scheduling appointments and maintaining the eReferral workqueue
- Fulfilling Responsibilities to Patients:
- Answers patient’s telephone calls, correctly processing information on ambulatory appointment scheduling or answering questions or solving problems. If necessary, transfers call to an appropriate person or department to assist the patient.
- Obtain or reviews all patient demographic information, insurance information and referral numbers.
- Calls patients from waiting area by addressing them as Mr., Ms. or Mrs. introduces him/her self and provides explanation as to the process.
- Accurately records all data and maintains necessary records or files relating to clinical care issues.
- Accurately and efficiently collects co-pay following all policies and procedures set in place
- Assists patients in a manner that promotes the perception that the staff is courteous, efficient and interested in their healthcare. Treats all patients with dignity and professionalism.
- Acquires all materials necessary for the patient visit including medial records and x-rays.
- Answers telephone calls professionally and courteously within five rings introducing the practice as requested by the division manager.
- Whether on the phone or in person treats all patients and internal customers with dignity and professionalism.
- Accurately completes and processes necessary test requisitions for patient care.
- Accurately and efficiently obtains prior authorizations.
I. Fulfilling Responsibilities to Physicians
- Maintains a professional relationship with all physicians
- Informs physicians of patient volume and wait time during sessions
- Communicates with patients regarding delays in schedule.
- Answers telephone calls correctly processing all patient information for messages, appointments, or patient registration.
- Obtains or reviews all patient demographics, insurance and referral information as necessary.
- Responsible for cash collection following guidelines as provided by the Co-Pay Cash Collection procedure.
- Completes physician’s orders/requests accurately.
- Maintain and adjusts physicians schedules as requested.
- Interacting with Fellow Employees
- Works to establish and maintain good working relationships with fellow employees.
- Treats all co-workers and internal customers with dignity and professionalism.
- Works cooperatively with fellow employees to solve problems and enhance the smooth and efficient flow of the practice.
- Provides coverage for responsibilities of co-workers when assigned or as need arises.
III. Interacting with Supervisory or Administrative Staff
- Follows instructions of and assists supervisory staff as required.
- Maintains good communication and reports problems to supervisor.
IV. Equipment and Supplies
- Maintains all patient care and support equipment assuring that they are clean and in good working order. Reports problems to supervisor or follows protocol for reporting problems.
- Maintains inventory of necessary supplies and equipment following procedures set by practice manager.
- Ensures that all supplies are adequately stocked.
- Maintains a neat organized work environment.
Performs all other duties or tasks as assigned or requested by the supervisor to ensure the efficient overall performance of the facility.