The entry level Research Assistant I (RA) will support a project that will fundamentally impact how patients are identified in the EHR and directly assess how many patients are at risk of being inaccurately identified by gender identity and will bring a depth of analysis regarding patient safety to the trans health field more generally, facilitating improved care and patient outcomes.
The RA is expected to work within a multidisciplinary research team. An RA with a high level of professionalism and strong interpersonal skills is required to provide first line support for queries from study stakeholders and participants. The RA will possess excellent attention to detail and critical thinking skills.
Specific activities include participant recruitment, data collection, data cleaning and analysis and may vary depending upon the phases of the project. The RA will support all activities associated with the execution of the research plan including Institutional Review Board (IRB) amendments, progress reports to the sponsor, and organizing communication with participants and project staff. The RA will use EPIC, Excel and REDCap to assist with data collection and analysis. The RA’s responsibilities will also include administrative tasks and literature searches.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Utilize REDCap and Excel to assist in data collection efforts, database development, and descriptive data analysis. (In-house REDCap training is available.)
- Assist with preparation of Institutional Review Board (IRB) documentation and forms for study protocol approvals and amendments.
- Schedule conference calls; prepare agendas and pre-meeting materials
- Coordinate, organize and take minutes for core team meetings, evaluation team meetings and user-centered design sessions, semi-structured interviews and focus groups.
- May involve travel to clinics.
- Perform general topic searches and specialized literature database searches. Retrieve journal articles from the Internet or library. Maintain a bibliographic library of supporting material.
- Help with the preparation of talks and presentation materials including PowerPoint slides, tables, and graphs.
- Assist with the preparation of formal research reports and manuscripts for publication in professional journals and presentation at national/international conferences.
- Photocopying, electronic mailing, sending mail, faxing, documenting project work, and other administrative duties as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree and an interest in healthcare, improvement of healthcare processes, and the use of technology to support clinical care.
- Interest or experience (e.g. coursework) in gender minority. populations, gender minority health, or health care disparities a plus.
- Certification in the protection of human research subjects (can be obtained after hire).
- Competency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel.
- Experience with data management, including REDCap and EndNote preferred.
- Experience using Epic EHR a plus.
- Familiarity with videoconference equipment and webinar set up.
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
- Excellent interpersonal skills required for working with clinicians, research leadership and study staff.
- Ability to demonstrate professionalism and respect.
- Regard for patient privacy essential.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Organizational skills and ability to prioritize tasks.
- Strong work ethic, industrious.
- Ability to accept and adjust to feedback from supervisors.
- Ability to complete work and to meet deadlines.
- Ability to use medical bibliographic retrieval programs helpful.
Cubicle in professional office setting.