At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
The new Bristol-Myers Squibb research site in Cambridge’s Kendall Square will help us continue to deliver on our mission, positioning the company and our scientists in the heart of a vibrant ecosystem of world-class science, innovation and business opportunities.
One of the main reasons behind the failure of cancer treatment is the development of various therapy resistance mechanisms by cancer cells. Cancer therapy resistance can be acquired by different paths depending on their genetic mutation, signal pathway activity, tumor microenvironment, and treatment regiment. Understanding the mechanisms of cancer drug resistance is of high unmet medical need.
The goal of this project is to generate drug-resistance cancer cell models and characterize the molecular mechanisms of resistance. Based on the resistance biology uncovered, advances in next-generation sequencing, proteomics technology, and novel targeted therapies provide new strategies to overcome drug resistance. This laboratory-based position requires a motivated, passionate, and vigilant individual. The ideal candidate will have cell culture experience in the areas of cancer biology. Under the guidance of a scientist, the candidate will be mentored and instructed on various lab protocols and scientific approaches aimed toward these goals. Specifically, this position will offer the candidate the opportunity to generate and characterize cancer models and to practice molecular and cellular biology techniques. In addition to working on scientific projects, the candidate will learn and participate in other translational research projects and have the opportunity to interact with other scientists within the group.
The candidate will become more familiar with the drug development process with regards to study designs and execute the topics included in this proposal, as well as a sense of achievement, responsibility, and working within a global company both in a team and independently.
- Key responsibilities include the generation and maintenance of cancer resistance models, including cancer cell line models.
- Use pharmacological and genetic tools to test the cancer resistance models to discover the molecular mechanism leading to the resistance to therapies.
- Work with cross-functional teams (genomics, proteomics, and bioinformatics) to interrogate the biology of cancer drug resistance.
- Keep timely and accurate laboratory records.
- Participate in group meetings and other scientific meetings.
Qualifications & Experience
- The candidate should have obtained or working toward a B.S. or M.S. degree in biology, biomedical sciences, or other relevant disciplines.
- Prior laboratory experience, especially hands-on cell/tissue culture experience, is preferred.
- Experience in pharmacological treatment or genetic modification of cancer cells is preferred.
- Experience in laboratory protocol execution, data analysis, and troubleshooting is preferred.
- Attention to detail with excellent organizational and record-keeping skills is a must.
- Proficiency in utilizing software such as Microsoft Office, Graph Pad for data analysis and figure generation is required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact effectively with people are required.
- This position will be full-time from Jan to June 2022. It is located in Cambridge, MA.
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Click the link to submit your application