Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The Occupational Medicine Clinic (OMC) is an on-site organization of dedicated BNL health care professionals. We are a vital part of the Human Resources and Occupational Medicine Directorate conveniently located in Bldg. 490 and providing care throughout BNL business hours. OMC’s mission is to support the health of BNL employees in order to assure a healthy, safe and productive workforce for the benefit of BNL and of the nation. We achieve this mission through an emphasis on wellness, prevention and early disease detection, as well as the optimal management and rehabilitation of injured employees. Our dedicated staff strives to maintain excellent standards of care while constantly addressing the occupational and environmental health concerns of BNL employees and management.
The primary roles of this position are performing medical analysis and chart (or document) completion functions. This position is on-site, located at our Occupational Medical Office and the candidate will deal primarily with new hires, employees and/or visitors to the lab who may need health assistance in various capacities. The person must be able to understand components of a medical record in an occupational health environment. Requires in-depth understanding and knowledge of medical record documentation and terminology. Must have the ability to interpret and analyze medical record documents for completion and return to providers for additional information. Requires a high level of autonomy accompanied by the following skills: detail oriented, highly organized and good communication skills.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prep charts for next day appointments and schedule incoming appointments.
- Run reports, scan documents, and filing of medical information.
- Answer phone calls, greet office visitors, and keep track of appointments and waiting times for visitors.
- Categorize appointment needs based on information provided by the employee; interpret employee training needs by access BNL’s internal training & qualifications system.
- Quality Assurance checks: ensure medical information is complete and certify current employee medical information such as job assessment forms are up to date.
- Schedule appointments with outside vendors for Preplacement Physicals.
- Interpret and analyze medical record documents for completion and know to return to providers for additional information.
- Possible triage if emergency arises.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Human Resources or related field or equivalent experience, generally on the basis of 2:1 (experience: college) years.
- Previous work experience, (such as internships and summer employment), in a hospital or clinical setting, Human Resources is preferred.
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite and Human Resources Information Systems (HRIS
- Demonstrates competency in all areas of Medical Records, especially in the areas of medical record completion and analysis.
- Ability to interact with individuals from diverse levels and provide excellent service; excellent communication (oral and written), interpersonal, organization and customer service skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to consult with professionals at all levels within the Laboratory.
- Must be discrete and be able to maintain confidentiality of employees’ personal information and/or work assignments.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of Medical Terminology and Anatomy
- Experience in an ambulatory setting with primary responsibility for maintaining document requirements.
- Previous experience with electronic health records preferred.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans;
- Flexible Spending Accounts;
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave);
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan;
- 401(k) Plan;
- Flexible Work Arrangements;
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab.We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/file