Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) at Brookhaven National Laboratory, a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science, seeks a qualified and motivated Post-Doctoral Research Associate. The selected candidate will join the research effort on advancing 3D x-ray imaging methods tailor to solving scientific challenges for microelectronics research. The selected candidate will work with a team of scientists within the Imaging and Microscopy Program, utilizing the world-leading hard x-ray imaging capabilities of the Full-field X-ray Imaging Beamline (FXI) and the Hard X-ray Nanoprobe Beamline (HXN).
The selected candidate will perform scientific research on micro-structure characterizations of integrated circuits, next-generation memory devices, and other novel microelectronics, with advanced X-ray imaging methods. The candidate will be responsible for optimizing workflow from data acquisition to structure quantification. The research will include model simulations and algorithm developments to optimize structure reconstruction strategies that balance the imaging throughput with the target imaging sensitivities and resolutions on a variety of imaging modalities (full-field vs. scanning) and contrast mechanisms (absorption, phase, and fluorescence). Particular emphasis is on achieving efficient 3D imaging by exploring data sparsity and exploiting prior knowledge of the sample. The candidate is expected to collaborate with beamline scientists, the NSLS-II DAMA (Data Acquisition Management and Analysis) Group and external collaborators.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work together with the members of the FXI and HXN beamline scientists to develop advanced 3D imaging methods for microelectronics research.
- Optimize the experimental strategy, perform 3D nanoscale measurements and develop the workflow for data analysis.
- Summarize results and write scientific papers to be published in peer-review journals.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ph.D. in computer science, physics, material science, or related discipline
- Demonstrated expertise in 3D tomography and quantitative image data analysis
- Demonstrated experience in computational programming
- Excellent publication record in peer-reviewed journals
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
(Demonstrated experience in one or more of the following):
- Python programming.
- Numerical simulations.
- Incorporating machine-learning algorithms in data analysis.
- Full-field or scanning microscopy.
- Knowledge of image processing methods.
- Knowledge of x-ray imaging contrast mechanisms.
BNL policy requires that research associate appointments be made to individuals who have received their doctorate within the past five years.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab.We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/file