Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The successful candidate will join the CABBI (Center for Advanced Biolenergy and Bioproduct Innovation) group in the Biology Department of Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL). The CABBI Plant Science group at BNL focuses on identifying key genes and regulatory principles to aid in developing bioenergy crops of high energy density for the production of biofuels and renewable chemicals.
The Biology Department at Brookhaven National Laboratory invites applications for a 1-year term Postdoctoral Research Associate position subject to renewal contingent on satisfactory performance and funding. The research will focus on the identification of novel factors and regulatory principles controlling triacylglycerol metabolism and storage by a combination of biochemical, genetic, cell biological and physiological approaches. The project will involve the characterization of novel lipid mutants defective in lipid droplet biogenesis and triacylglycerol accumulation in Arabidopsis. This position has a high level of interaction with an international and multicultural scientific community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design and carry out experiments relevant to the research project
- Analyze experimental data and write manuscripts
- Present research results in domestic and international conferences
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ph.D. in Plant Biology or related field
- Demonstrated experience in the standard techniques of molecular biology
- A record of publication in peer-reviewed journals
- Attention to detail and data-driven decision making
- Research experience with land plants or photosynthetic microorganisms
- Experiment design and statistical analysis skills
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Prior experience with the model plant Arabidopsis
- Advanced knowledge of plant lipid metabolism
- Experience with mapping and positional cloning
- Review of applications begins immediately. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
- Initial 1-year term appointment subject to renewal contingent on satisfactory performance and funding.
- Research under the direction of Dr. Changcheng Xu. BNL policy requires that research associate appointments be made to individuals who have received their doctorate within the past five years.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab.We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/file