Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
BNL’s Nonproliferation and National Security Department (NN) contributes to U.S. nuclear security and safeguards efforts by assisting in the development, analysis and assessment of policies that strengthen international regimes, collecting and analyzing data to identify trends and threats to the U.S. and international communities, developing and implementing new technologies to address existing and emerging threats, and strengthening the domestic and international institutions that form the framework of the nuclear non-proliferation and nuclear security regimes through training and engagement. The department’s activities require subcontracts, valued at approximately $10 million, with a number of other domestic and international organizations (including public and private sector entities) and consultants.
The Nonproliferation and National Security Department seeks an Administrative Services Assistant to assist with management of department subcontracting activities and serve as Technical Representative for a subset of the department’s subcontracts. The successful candidate will serve as a Liaison between the department and the Procurement and Property Management Division (PPM), the Business Operations Office, and the Quality Assurance representative and assist department staff in readying procurement packages for processing by PPM.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support principal investigators by assisting with the preparation of scopes of work, justifications for noncompetitive procurement, and level of effort memoranda, quality checking procurement documents, assembling procurement packages, advising them on the procurement process, tracking the status of web requisitions through the process, review proposals, and reviewing invoices. Follow up with relevant office when delays are encountered.
- Review procurement packages prepared by other department staff members for quality and completeness per PPM guidelines.
- Provide back up to the Chair for weekly department meetings with PPM that are attended by department contract representatives and the PPM Liaison and are held to review the status of department procurement actions, This includes running the meetings in the Chair’s absence and maintaining the department’s list of pending subcontracts.
- Maintain the established department spreadsheet and use it to track contracts from the identification of need through placement of the contract to identify choke points and prevent delays.
- Maintain own required training, including contract administration training, current
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Some form of secretarial or office administration training, plus eight years of experience in substantive and relevant administrative, secretarial, clerical, or other responsible work which provides evidence of the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to perform successfully the duties of the position. A bachelor’s degree in a business field with coursework, or training, specifically related to the position requirements may offset qualifying experience, with the exception of the two years’ experience at BNL in the current or similar role, which cannot be offset by a bachelor’s degree.
- Ability to work with principal investigators to prepare procurement documents, including, scopes of work, justifications for noncompetitive procurement, and level of effort memoranda and evaluate subcontractor proposals and invoices
- Ability to work with engineering and scientific staff and synthesize technical information into statements of work and level of effort justifications
- Ability to track subcontract expenditures and periods of performance
- Able and willing to receive direction from senior staff and Group Leaders
- Solid skills in Microsoft Office products, including Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Clear and concise verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational skills
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, accounting or a related field
- Experience in contract administration and preparation of procurement packages
- Knowledge of BNL’s business policies and practices
- Experience using the PeopleSoft or other computer-based financial system
- Strong project management skills
- Knowledge of US nuclear nonproliferation activities.
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
The main scope of work will take place in an office environment. The successful candidate may be required to enter BNL laboratories and comply with safety requirements such as completing required trainings, interpreting laboratory safety information postings, and wearing appropriate personal protective equipment.
While not required, the ability to obtain and maintain a DOE assess authorization (Q) clearance is desirable.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab.We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/file