Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The NSLS-II Radio Frequency (RF) Cryo group consists of nine technicians and seven professional staff involved in the design, production and maintenance of the RF and Cryogenic systems for the LINAC, booster, and storage ring. Working closely with the professional staff, will supervise the staff of six or more highly skilled technicians.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the supervision of the RF technical staff.
- Work control coordinator for the RF group.
- Working closely with the engineers and GL plan shutdown and maintenance work on highly complex and potentially hazardous systems.
- Assign tasks and supervise work for RF group technical staff with expertise.
- Troubleshoot complex systems from high level systems analysis to board level components diagnosis and repair.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Requires the equivalence of a technical institute or associate’s degree in a related scientific or engineering field, considerable technical and job-relevant training, and ten (10) years in-depth and related work experience in a broad technical field, which includes demonstrated technical and/or supervisory leadership skills
- Demonstrated expertise in the fabrication, troubleshooting and operations of high power and low-level radio frequency systems and high-speed analog/digital board design
- Must demonstrate strong organizational skills and have a track record of formal documentation of designs, maintenance records and work planning
- Strong background in electronics, radio frequency systems
- Electronics troubleshooting to the board and component level
- Good mechanical skills and knowledge of machine shop practices
- Strong organization and documentation skills
- Experience with high power systems
- Strong safety ethic and knowledge of safe work practices in high voltage/ high power systems.
- Ability to develop job specific training and guidance to staff.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: (one or more of the following:)
- Experience with Klystron and IOT amplifiers
- Experience with cryogenic system instrumentation
- Knowledge of operation and maintenance of high voltage DC power supplies
- High speed RF/digital PC board design
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Ability to climb ladders
The position classification offered will be commensurate with the candidate’s depth and breadth of experience.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab.We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/file