Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The Stakeholder and Community Relations Office (SCR) develops best-in-class communications, science education, government relations, and community involvement programs that advance the science and science education missions of the Laboratory, contribute to public understanding of science, enhance the value of the Lab as a community asset, and ensure that Laboratory internal and external stakeholders are properly informed and have a voice in Lab decisions of interest and importance to them.
Help explain and promote our science! At Brookhaven Lab, Science Writers work with scientists and managers to identify newsworthy events, accomplishments, and developments throughout the Laboratory; write content for the Lab’s website and social media outlets as well as select print and multimedia products to communicate science research advances; write and issue news releases and feature articles; and cultivate relationships with science reporters, editors, and bloggers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with scientists and managers to identify newsworthy events, accomplishments, and developments throughout the Laboratory
- Write content for the Lab’s website, social media outlets, and print publications to communicate science research developments
- Write feature articles, news releases, social media posts, fact sheets, brochures, annual or special reports, video scripts, and displays for conferences and other uses
- Work with photographers, videographers, and graphic designers to help develop multimedia content
- Distribute news releases and pitch story ideas to local and national media
- Cultivate relationships with science reporters, bloggers, and editors
- Review print and broadcast clips for accuracy; distribute pertinent clips to appropriate personnel
- Manage and complete assigned projects to achieve established goals within time and resource restrictions, providing feedback in process
- Respond to internal and external requests for information and guidance
- Maintain records and documentation relating to functions
- Keep capabilities and qualifications current, including completing required training for assigned tasks and work location
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, science, or a related field
- Strong background in science and science writing
- Excellent communications skills, including writing, interviewing, and reporting
- Ability to communicate complex issues to a general audience
- Ability to develop multiple projects simultaneously and on tight deadlines
- Experience with social media platforms
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Master’s degree in science writing/journalism
- Travel to conferences and off-site meetings required.
- Selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level based on experience
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab.We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/file