Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The mission of the Data Acquisition, Management and Analysis Group is to provide support and expertise to meet the scientific computing needs of the NSLS-II beamlines.
The National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) is has an opening for a scientific software developer to join the Scientific Computing & Data Acquisition, Data Management, Data Analysis Group. This position is needed to support the development and maintenance of a software infrastructure for data acquisition, management, and analysis to support the scientific mission of NSLS-II.
The position classification offered will be commensurate with the candidate’s depth and breadth of experience.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with a team of scientists and engineers to lead in the design, development, and maintenance of reliable software for data acquisition, management and analysis.
- Collaborate with scientists and software engineers to define and implement the best strategies and approaches in data acquisition, scientific data handling, management, visualization, and analysis.
- Collaborate with staff and facility user scientists to develop new computational approaches and methods to extract maximum scientific information from experimental data.
- Provide support for users in data collection methods and data analysis.
- Present work and results at scientific meetings, and travel to multiple scientific facilities throughout the world.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ph.D. degree in Computer Science. Physical Sciences, Applied Mathematics or related field.
- Minimum of 2 or more years of relevant experience beyond PhD.
- Ability to employ sound software engineering methodologies.
- Demonstrated record in collaborative software development.
- Demonstrated experience in multiple programming languages, including Python and C/C++.
- An up-to-date knowledge in related scientific data collection, data management, and data analysis concepts.
- Excellent communications and interpersonal skills to be able to interact effectively with a diverse group of scientists, engineers, and technical staff.
- Self-motivated and able to work in a team environment.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: (Experience in at least one of the following):
- Scientific computing or data management at a synchrotron light source, neutron source or other major scientific user facility.
- User interface development.
- Databases, relational and NoSQL (such as MongoDB).
- Designing and implementing software systems of many different types
- Cloud infrastructures like AWS, GCP, Heroku
- Containerized deployment (Docker, Singularity, etc.)
- Contributing to open-source software projects.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab.We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/file