Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The mission of the legal office of Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is to further the Laboratory’s strategic goals by protecting and preserving the Laboratory’s legal, ethical, and financial integrity and reputation. The objective is to provide world-class legal services to support the world-class science being performed at BNL.
- Serve as an export subject matter expert capable of providing classifications globally by conducting ITAR and EAR export jurisdiction and classification reviews of hardware, software and technical data.
- Build and maintain relationships with internal stakeholders as well as with suppliers to obtain necessary product information needed to perform accurate import and export classifications.
- Provide export classifications to support licensing determination.
- Perform review and provide approval of hardware, technology and technical data transfers to foreign entities.
- Assist Export Control Manager in developing and implementing procedures at the corporate level, ensuring site-level compliance with ITAR and EAR.
- Assist Export Control Manager in managing export records, including developing/implementing a record retention program.
- Assist Export Control Manager in the development of a system to ensure compliance with the documentation requirements of export operations, including development and implementation of automated tools (OCR or Visual Compliance modules) and processes, such as product classification matrices for exports.
- Exercise oversight of day to day Customs classification operations partnering with internal stakeholders, and with BSA designated freight forwarder/customs broker.
- Assist Export Control Manager in the development of import logistics procedures.
- Implementation of import logistics procedures in accordance with Customs Regulations (19 CFR).
- Conduct custom classifications (HTS).
- Prepare supporting documentation to respond to US Customs request of Information and notice of action (CF28, CF29).
- Interpreting INCOTERMS and providing advice to internal stakeholders.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related business field or equivalent experience, generally based on the basis of 2:1 (experience:college) years
- Ten (10) years full-time, contemporary, directly-related work experience showing progressively more complex responsibilities in a substantive and relevant role which provides evidence of the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to perform successfully the duties of the position.
- Assists senior Laboratory or department management by assuming day to day responsibilities for all activities within one or more major administrative functions for a complex operation.
- Exercises a high degree of initiative and professional judgment.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a dynamic environment, and to communicate orally and in writing with a diverse population.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Export training in shipping and supply chain.
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Hand dexterity – for computer work
- Hearing & Vision – for alarms and computer work
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab.We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/file