Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The mission of the Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) is to operate, maintain, improve, and upgrade the suite of electron, proton, and heavy ion accelerators used to carry out a program of accelerator-based experiments at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL). To support this program, the C-AD must design, fabricate, assemble, test, install, and operate unique research equipment to generate, transport, transfer, accelerate, focus, track, collide, and absorb high intensity particle beams up to energies of 250 GeV. This includes a combination of custom designed and built parts and vendor produced components developed by a collaboration of the C-AD scientific, engineering, and technical staff. The C-AD supports an international user community of over 1,500 scientists. The C-AD performs all these functions in an environmentally-responsible and safe manner, under a rigorous conduct of operations approach.
The Collider-Accelerator Department Staff Specialist will have an integral role working with the Directorate Chief Operating Officer (DCOO) in support of operations activities including staff communications, review of operational performance, and the pursuit of operational initiatives.
In this capacity, the Staff Specialist will assist the department in managing operational activities and resources such as documentation and safety information. In addition, the Staff Specialist shall assist the Training Manager in answering questions about staff training requirements, delivering training to C-AD staff, and maintaining C-AD training documentation. This position has a high level of interaction with a multicultural and international scientific community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The duties include, but are not limited to:
- Maintenance and management of training documentation including training records, training descriptions, training requirements, and other records that support Department and Laboratory safety and operational requirements
- Delivery of training modules including classroom presentations, coordination of training by others inside and outside the Department, and provisioning of external training resources (e.g., training from external vendors and consultants such as Human Performance, OSHA training, ASME training, etc.)
- Maintaining communication about training opportunities including Department-wide email announcements, calendars, websites, and other communications with C-A staff and visitors
- Assurance and Configuration Management Group functions such as action tracking and records maintenance
- Collaborate with the Environment, Safety, and Health Division on special projects as necessary
- Bachelor’s degree in business or communications or relevant experience or equivalent experience, generally based on the basis of 2:1 (experience:college) years
- Four (4) years full-time related work experience showing progressively more complex responsibilities in a substantive and relevant coordinator or project management role including the adherenace to deadlines, compliance, and operational matters
- Experience with delivery of training materials and training classes to technical staff
- Ability to work with a multicultural and diverse population at all levels of the organization
- Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills, organizational and planning skills, and problem-solving and analysis skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and exercise personal initiative in identifying and solving problems
- Proficiency in web-based tools for creating and editing web pages as well as Microsoft Office products
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience working in a scientific or technical organization
- Knowledge of nuclear or accelerator facility operations
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Must be able to climb ladder to height of 5-ft or less
- Must be able to lift moderate weights (15-30 lbs)
- Comfortable walking and standing
OTHER INFORMATION: (add if applicable)
- Valid US Drivers’ license
- Occasional domestic travel (up to 10%)
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab.We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/file