Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The mission of the Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) is to operate, maintain, improve, and upgrade the suite of electron, proton, and heavy ion accelerators used to carry out a program of accelerator-based experiments at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL). To support this program, the C-AD must design, fabricate, assemble, test, install, and operate unique research equipment to generate, transport, transfer, accelerate, focus, track, collide, and absorb high intensity particle beams up to energies of 250 GeV. This includes a combination of custom designed and built parts and vendor produced components developed by a collaboration of the C-AD scientific, engineering, and technical staff. The C-AD supports an international user community of over 1,500 scientists. The C-AD performs all these functions in an environmentally responsible and safe manner, under a rigorous conduct of operations approach.
The Water Systems Group within the Collider-Accelerator Department has an opening for a Technician/Senior Technician that is responsible for the installation, operation, maintenance, repair, and upgrades of all cooling related equipment throughout the C-AD complex. Responsibilities include support of operations for AGS (V), RHIC (Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider), BLIP (Brookhaven Linac Isotope Producer), RMD (Radiation Monitoring Devices), Metallurgy, Tandem and the Electron-Ion Collider. This position has a high level of interaction with an international and multicultural scientific community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Operate, repair, maintain, assemble, fabricate, and install all air/water systems and associated sub systems for the C-AD department
- Be available for emergency call-ins for all utilities system repairs, trips, or system related situations
- Work safely and follow all applicable procedures and policies
- Requires a high school diploma or equivalent capabilities
- One (1) year full time relevant work experience
- Basic computer operating skills (MS Office Suite), including Excel and Word
- Clear and concise communication skills
- Proficiency in the use of hand tools and electronic test instruments like multimeters
- Ability to work from drawings, schematics, and verbal instructions
- Experience in the safe use of power hand tools
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- The ability to work accurately from drawings and schematics and interpret technical specifications
- Experience with PLC programming
- Soldering and basic plumbing skills
- Experience with machine shop equipment and practices
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Ability to climb ladders, and lift 30 pounds
- Ability to work in an area that emits radiation within safety parameters
- Valid US Drivers’ license, use of private car, travel throughout the Lab facility
- Appointment level will be commensurate with experience and qualifications
- Visa sponsorship for this position is not available
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab.We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/file