Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The mission of the Information Technology Department provides expertise in computing hardware and software support, as well as telecommunications services for the entire Laboratory. The Information Technology Department also investigates, recommends, and automates process improvements to business systems within the Lab community as well as oversees library, publications, records management and technical editing functions.
The Information Technology Division has an opening for an experienced Windows Administrator/DevOps Engineer to help support and improve BNL’s centralized Configuration Management and Identity Management systems, both on-premises and in the cloud. Specific technologies include AD FS, Azure Active Directory Sync and Windows Group Policy. DevOps duties include identifying and developing improvements in automation and system management efficiency.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supporting customers and other internal IT groups with identity and account management issues with Active Directory and Office 365.
- Interpreting and reporting on identity and account management data from a variety of sources, including Active Directory and other internal data sources.
- Investigating and updating existing Windows group policy and developing new group policies consistent with security plans.
- Producing well-documented reusable scripting and automation components to address emerging IT needs for the laboratory.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- BA/BS Degree or equivalent in Computer Science or related discipline with 8+ years of relevant experience.
- Experience with Windows PowerShell 5.1, PowerShell Core or Python for systems management or reporting.
- Experience with using version control software; like Git.
- Experience with scripting Active Directory or LDAP changes; preferably using PowerShell: querying, modifying, creating and deleting objects.
- A familiarity with diagnosing complex Windows Group Policy issues: determining effective policies for a specific setting, modifying policies to achieve desired settings changes, examining settings and troubleshooting issues with Group Policy.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience with managing Azure Active Directory or similar cloud-based identity management platform.
- Experience with using vendor-supplied PowerShell modules to integrate existing automation with 3rd party tools.
- Experience with writing PowerShell modules.
- 100% Remote work is available for this position.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans;
- Dental Plans;
- Life Insurance;
- 401(k) Plan;
- Retirement Plan;
- Paid Parental Leave;
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab.We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/file