Therapeutic Recreation Specialist In Training
Provide a community-based Therapeutic Recreation (TR) experience for senior undergraduate or graduate students completing a degree in Recreation Therapy and full-filling the requirements set forth by the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification (NCTRC).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions or duties listed below are illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
- Complete all university and site assignments (reading, writing, or service delivery) in a timely manner.
- Learn and effectively implement the APIED process as appropriate within a community recreation center.
- Attend community and staff meetings, showing appropriate effort to participate.
- Assist with planning and facilitating programs, trainings, and other recreation programs.
- Assist with communication and marketing for programs, events, and trainings.
- Advocate and assist in coordinating inclusive services as needed.
- Complete a special project to be coordinated with site supervisor. (ex. Enhancement or implementation of a new program, enhancement of division procedures, presentation for professional development, etc.)
- Assist with transportation to/from Brookline Recreation events/practices by driving Brookline Recreation vans or mini bus.
- Follow all Brookline Recreation and Town rules/laws/policies as required by professional staff.
Works under the direct supervision of Therapeutic Recreation Specialists, following department policies and appropriate professional standards. The employee operates independently and in a team environment, facilitates and overseeing Therapeutic Recreation programs.
Administrative work is performed in office conditions. Programs often take place outside and in the community. Some programs are conducted in buildings shared with the School Department. The employee may be exposed to adverse seasonal weather conditions. The workload varies and is subject to seasonal changes and requires planning. The employee works weekends and evenings, and occasional overnights.
Recommended Minimum Qualifications
Education and Experience
- Actively or graduated from an accredited college/university program with at least 60 semester or 90 quarter units, equivalent to two (2) years or more of college at the time of application enrollment in a degree program such as Therapeutic Recreation, Recreation Management, Special Education, Occupational Therapy, Psychology, Social Work, or Early Childhood Education is a plus.
- 1-2 years of experience working with individuals with disabilities or more
- Knowledge and experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Ability to learn and use Recreation Department software
- Ability to properly handle money and keep records of transactions within the department
- Pass CORI/SORI check
- Have or be willing to obtain First Aid, CPR & AED Certification
- Must have reliable transportation.
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- General knowledge of a variety of recreation programs including aquatics, sports, fitness, and arts and crafts.
- Ability to instruct, lead and supervise individual and group activities.
- Ability to follow oral, written and demonstrated instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective communication and working relationships with other employees, participants and public.
Valid Driver’s License, Class D
- Minimal physical effort is required when performing office work. Moderate to strenuous physical effort is required to perform field work
- The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, stoop, kneel, and may be required to lift up to 40 pounds.
- Vision requirements include the ability to read routine and technical documents, use a computer, answer a telephone, and operate a motor vehicle. Individual will need to demonstrate ability to effectively communicate with community members and coworkers in person, over email and on the phone
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee, and is subject to change by the employer, as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Please attach the following information to your application:
Current college transcripts (copies are acceptable)
At least 2 letter of recommendation