Brooklyn Community Services is one of Brooklyn’s first and largest non-sectarian social services agencies. Serving more than 18,000 individuals annually, BCS is committed to a broad and diverse range of services including prevention of foster care placement; crisis intervention; early childhood and after school education; and vocational training, job placement, and clinical services to adults with physical and developmental disabilities, and histories of mental illness.
Cornerstone and Beacon Programs provide academic, art and recreational opportunities to children, teens and adults in NYCHA community centers and DOE schools. The programs are offered every weekday from 2:00 pm to 10:00 pm, Saturdays from 10:00 am to 5:00pm, and extended hours during the summer and school holidays. BCS Cornerstone and Beacon Programs are located in Brownsville, Fort Greene, Sunset Park and Coney Island.
- Work collaboratively with Site Director and Assistant Director/On-site Supervisor to provide activities for children, youth, adults and seniors.
- Assist with after school activities; help implement hands-on multi-sensory lessons and activities to children which are provided in the context of academically stimulating themes.
- Coordinate planning and preparation of activities and materials for daily schedule.
- Provide effective supervision to groups of children during classroom activities, snack time, recreation and field trips. Provide effective supervision and activities to middle/high school participants during evening and weekend hours.
- Responsible for taking daily attendance.
- Assist with developing and planning community events for children, parents and community.
- Oversee and monitor authorized parental/guardian pick up of children.
- Outreach to parents and community to promote the program, activities and upcoming events.
- Multi-site flexibility (may be asked to work at different sites depending on need).
- Attend and comply with training requirements.
- Other responsibilities as needed and requested by site director.
- High School Diploma or GED required. Some college education preferred.
- Background in sports, music, drama, dance, photography, crafts, sewing, or the arts is a plus.
- Must enjoy working with children and be able to pass a background check.