This position is part of the Cheyenne Eagle Butte School, Bureau of Indian Education. As a School Counselor you will be responsible for serving as a Guidance Counselor in a BIE school on or near the Reservation. The counselor is responsible for providing professional counseling services to students.
Open & closing dates: 07/09/2021 to 07/29/2021
Pay scale & grade: CY 21
Salary: $33.84 to $62.22 per hour
Staffing Differential of 15% is authorized.
Government quarters are available.
Appointment type: Seasonal
Work schedule: Full-time
Location: Eagle Butte, SD
As a School Counselor CY-1710-21, your typical work assignments may include the following under supervision:
- Serving as a school Guidance Counselor, the incumbent works within the general guidance function supplementing and complementing the guidance role of the Administration, Guidance, academic and/or Vocational Staff.
- Provides individual and group counseling services to students, in the areas of personal, academic and vocational counseling, designed to assist in achieving as acceptable self-concept, self-understand, self-adjustment, self-directiveness and self-discipline; all of which will prepare them to cope with the realities of their environment and life situations in an adequate and self-satisfying manner.
- Conducts individual and group guidance/orientation services for new and re-entering students to orient them to the advantages, requirements, services and opportunities of the school.
- Counsels with students on a regular basis regarding careers, educational, social interest and/or other similar matters, helping them to explore alternatives.
- Conducts and implements the school testing services to meet the needs of the students.
- Collects, interprets and organizes the program data for appraisal purposes. Prepares case summaries, case histories and case studies for professional use. Provides safeguards for the utilization of confidential student data.
- Sets up and maintains files and records of individual and group counseling sessions.
- Utilizes the services of the other disciplines and promotes the interdisciplinary team approach to problem solving. Also uses community and other agency referral services to assist students.
- As requested, assists dormitory and other school staff in in-service and seminary training sessions. Acts as liaison to community referral sources.
- Works closely with the academic staff, to follow the academic growth of students; recommend conferences to discuss individual student problems experienced in the academic area with concerned staff members, for the purpose of arriving at solutions to student problems. Serves a team member on IEP and IRG student committees.
- Counsels with each student based on career surveys of each individual and prepares a class schedule that reflects the career pathway of one career academy.
Conditions of Employment
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation for Public Trust position.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a background clearance.
- Must be certified by a state’s Department of Education.
- Must obtain and maintain Counselor Certification.
- Must obtain and maintain valid state driver’s license.
Who May Apply:
- Applicants with Indian Preference
- All U.S. Citizens
Qualifications: In order to qualify, you must meet the education and experience requirements contained in the approved job category for P.L. 95-561 described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application.
Basic Education Requirement for Pay Level 21-14: Applicants must possess a Masters degree (or higher) and at least 24 semester hours in any combination of the following fields: test and measurements, adult education, educational program administration, curriculum development or design, teaching methods, guidance and counseling, career planning, or occupational information. (This requirement can be obtained within the degree or in addition to the degree.) Applicants must also have state certification in the state where they will be employed. Emergency and provisional certifications may be accepted under the conditions imposed by the state certification authority.
Pay Level Requirements: To qualify for a pay level, you must have completed the degree requirement and if stated the required semester hours at the next level of education from an accredited university in a related field of study.
Pay Level 21 requires a Master’s Degree
Pay Level 22 requires a Master’s Degree and fifteen semester hours towards a Doctorate
Pay Level 23 requires a Master’s Degree and thirty semester hours towards a Doctorate
Pay Level 24 requires a earned Doctorate
Pay tables for Bureau of Indian Education Title 25 positions can be found at https://www.bie.edu/topic-page/education-pay-table-archives
Basis of Rating: All applicants for this position will be rated and ranked based upon the extent and quality of their experience, training and/or education as reflected in the assessment questionnaire. Applicants will be further evaluated according to the degree to which they possess or have the potential to acquire knowledge, skills, abilities, and personal characteristics as listed below. The judgment of qualifications will be based on the material submitted; therefore, it is to the applicant’s advantage to give complete and thorough responses and to present information in a neat and orderly fashion. Qualifications and Indian preference eligibility will be determined on the basis of information submitted.
To meet the education requirements, you must submit a legible copy of transcripts from an accredited institution with your name, school name, credit hours, course level, major(s), and grade-point average or class ranking. Official transcripts are required upon selection.
Education must have been obtained from an accredited or pre-accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications.
For further information on creditable education visit: http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit:http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
The documents you are required to submit vary based on the authority you are using to apply (i.e., applying with Indian Preference, applying as a current permanent Federal employee, applying as a reinstatement, etc).As described above, your complete application includes your resume, your responses to the online questionnaire, and documents which prove your eligibility to apply.
To apply for this position, click on the green APPLY EXTERNALLY button.
If you fail to provide these documents, you will be marked as having an incomplete application package and you will not be considered any further.
1. Your resume:
- Your resume may be submitted in any format and must support the specialized experience described in this announcement.
- Your resume work experience needs to reflect Position Title, Dates of Employment (include month/year), Hours worked per week, Salary, Supervisor’s Name and telephone number, and Duties (please be specific and include any accomplishments).
- If your resume includes a photograph, hypertext/hyperlinks, or other inappropriate material or content, it will not be used to make eligibility and qualification determinations and you may not be considered for this vacancy.
- You should list any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume as that information may be taken into consideration during the selection process. If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.
- For additional information see: What to include in your resume.
- 2. Other supporting documents: Cover Letter, optional
- You MUST submit documents verifying your eligibility with your application package. These documents may include, but are not limited to:
- For Indian Preference BIA Form 4432 is required and located on the Bureau of Indian Education Website: https://www.bie.edu/topic-page/forms The form must be completed by the appropriate official with the federally-recognized tribe where the applicant is enrolled as a member. No other form will be accepted.
- Indian Children Protection Requirements Form is required and is located on the Bureau of Indian Education Website: https://www.bie.edu/topic-page/forms
- For current employment verification; SF-50, DD-3434 or other federal agencies official “Notification of Personnel Action” equivalent (Note: SF-52 or agencies “Request for Personnel Action” is not acceptable);
- For MSP claims PCS orders and marriage certificate;
- For verification of Veteran status, DD-214 (which indicates character of service), SF-15, VA Letter and/or Activation/Deactivation orders.
- This position has an individual occupational requirement. You MUST submit a copy of your transcript with your application package or you will be rated ineligible. Your transcripts must show the degree awarded, date conferred, and all required courses as required by the position. Please note, this may be shown with multiple transcripts.
Future Military Retirees*: You are required to submit a copy of your retirement DD Form 214 (Member 4 Copy) OR certification document** OR a copy of your retirement letter AND a copy of your terminal leave request (if applicable). You will be required to provide your DD Form 214 (Member 4 Copy) upon issuance.
Future Separation from the Military*: You are required to submit a copy of your most recent DD Form 214 (Member 4 Copy) OR certification document** OR a copy of your most recent active duty orders AND a copy of your terminal leave request (if applicable). You will be required to provide your DD Form 214(Member 4 Copy) upon issuance.
*Active duty military members who are selected may not be appointed unless on terminal leave or already separated from the armed forces.
** The “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions not later than 120 days after the date the certification is submitted. The Statement of Service must be signed by, or by direction of, the adjutant, personnel officer, or commander of your unit or higher headquarters, AND the Statement of Service letter must include your rank, dates of active duty service, the Type of Discharge, Character of Service (i.e. honorable), and, if applicable, when your terminal leave will begin.
NOTE: Within the Bureau of Indian Education, the appointment of retired military members within 180 days immediately following retirement date to a civilian position is subject to the provisions of 5 United States Code 3326.
PLEASE NOTE: Documents submitted as part of the application package, to include supplemental documents, may be shared beyond the Human Resources Office. Some supplemental documents like military orders and marriage certificates may contain personal information for other than the applicant.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine if you meet the qualifications listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application package, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this position. If you are found to be among the top qualified candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
- Customer Service
- Oral Communication
- Statistical Analysis