The Assistant Civil Engineer will work under the supervision of a licensed professional engineer to assist project teams to create world class designs for new projects, alterations, and redevelopments on a variety of projects. The Assistant Civil Engineer will work with the project team throughout the design and construction process, adapting civil plans according to budget constraints, design factors or client needs.
Project work includes design on sites and facilities in the industries of manufacturing, oil & gas transportation, on-site energy generation, healthcare, research, and commercial and institutional facilities. Example projects include jet aircraft testing and production facilities, fuel truck terminals, central utility plants, hospitals and research labs, university facilities, and commercial buildings. Some specific tasks for a civil engineer in Global Facilities include:
- Perform stormwater work including stormwater management, hydrologic and hydraulic modeling, stormwater design, civil works and flood control, and ecosystem restoration.
- Perform site development, site access layout, grading and earthwork calculations, and utility routing and coordination.
- Assist in the development of permitting and final documents.
- Assist in the construction administration process including coordination with field personnel to resolve design related installation issues, the review of contractor shop drawings and calculations, field inspections, and testing of utility systems.
- Assist in performing site evaluations and documenting existing site features and utility systems.
- Assist in the preparation and evaluation of project budgets and cost estimates.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering or related degree from an ABET accredited program.
- Or Bachelor of Science in Civil or related Engineering Technology from an ABET accredited program and successful completion of Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam.
- Master of Science degree in Engineering may be substituted for one year of experience.
- Successful completion of Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) or Engineer-in-Training (EIT) strongly preferred.
- Minimum of a 3.0 GPA strongly preferred.
- Prior internship and/or related consulting experience preferred.
- Involvement on campus or in the community.
- Basic knowledge in standard civil engineering techniques, principles and procedures.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work methodically and analytically in a quantitative problem-solving environment and demonstrated critical thinking skills.
- Proficient computer skills (e.g. Microsoft Office Suite)
- Basic computer skills (e.g.MicroStation, Civil 3D), and civil analysis programs.
- Strong attention to detail, facilitation, team building, collaboration, organization and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis without requiring future sponsorship for employment visa status.