The Assistant Geotechnical Engineer will work under the supervision of a licensed professional engineer to assist project teams to create world class designs for new projects, alterations and redevelopments on a variety of projects including power, process, corporate, healthcare, pipeline, airports, institutional, industrial, manufacturing, government and military facilities. The Assistant Geotechnical Engineer will work with the project team throughout the design and construction process, adapting geotechnical plans according to budget constraints, design factors or client needs.
- Assists in the geotechnical design of projects from the conceptual phase through design completion. Assists in geological hazard assessments, slope stability analyses, calculations and design of mitigation alternatives.
- Assists with modifying and reviewing production drawings for a variety of projects including, but not limited to: power plants, process facilities, industrial facilities, healthcare facilities, airports, educational institutions, commercial, and governmental and military facilities.
- Assists in designing geotechnical components for project needs and requirements that are set forth by the project managers.
- Applies basic knowledge of commonly used geotechnical engineering/design concepts, principles, practices, codes, and procedures within the geotechnical engineering services industry.
- Assists with subsurface investigations in support of geotechnical design and evaluation efforts, including test boring inspection, installing and monitoring instrumentation.
- Assists with research and compiles project related data as required by the project managers. Assists with compiling geotechnical data, boring logs and subsurface profiles.
- Assists with field reconnaissance and geotechnical research to evaluate site-specific geotechnical and hydrogeologic conditions and risks. Assists with planning subsurface explorations and laboratory testing programs.
- Assists with client presentations and contract administration for the design of power, process, pipeline, industrial, healthcare, airports, educational institutions, commercial, and governmental and military facilities.
- Assists in construction observation during the construction phase of projects
- All other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor of Science in Geotechnical or Civil Engineering or related degree from an ABET accredited program and a Masters degree in Geotechnical engineering for an ABET accredited program.
- Minimum of a 3.0 GPA strongly preferred.
- Prior internship and/or related consulting experience preferred.
- Involvement on campus or in the community.
- Basic knowledge in standard geotechnical engineering techniques, principles and procedures. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work methodically and analytically in a quantitative problem-solving environment and demonstrated critical thinking skills.
- Proficient computer skills (e.g. Microsoft Office Suite).
- Basic computer skills include geological analysis programs (e.g., Ensoft, FAD) and AutoCAD.
- Strong attention to detail, facilitation, team building, collaboration, organization and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Candidates must be legally authorized to work permanently (i.e. without time limitations, without restrictions or without need for work sponsorship) in the country where this position is located.