At CSIS we actively seek to employ a diverse group of people who embody our organizational values. We welcome and encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply, especially those from traditionally underrepresented groups.
The Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) is a non-profit, bipartisan public policy organization established in 1962 to provide strategic insights and practical policy solutions to decision makers in government, international institutions, the private sector, and civil society. Over the years, it has grown to be one of the largest organizations of its kind, with a staff of more than 200 employees working to address the changing dynamics of international security across the globe.
CSIS is seeking an intern to join a dynamic Human Resources team and assist in a variety of administrative projects and developmental assignments. This position will work closely with the HR Generalist and HR Administrator to provide substantial administrative support, and customer service. The HR Intern will be exposed to all facets of the Human Resources department including recruitment, benefits, employee relations, and training. This internship will be full-time, 35 hours per week.
Essential duties and responsibilities
Essential functions may include, but are not limited to the following
• Provides administrative support to the HR department, and provides regular front desk support for the Receptionist.
• Update our HRIS databases with current and former employee information (e.g. employment forms/records and contact information).
• Runs monthly reports and monitors progress of new hire onboarding activities (to include new Staff, Interns and Visiting Fellows).
• Work with HR Administrator to ensure that all job posts are accurate and current.
• Assists with scheduling meeting using MS Outlook and our Event Management System (EMS).
• Manage the Human Resources monthly calendar.
• Assists with any special tasks, presentations, projects, and reports.
• Responds to general inquiries from employees concerning HR policies, procedures, and other personnel issues.
• Responds to general questions and concerns sent to the HR and employment inboxes from both internal and external individuals.
• Performs various audits for the HR department to ensure compliance with federal and local employment law.
• Performs a variety of other HR related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, education, and experience
• Candidates must be enrolled in an educational program in human resources or related business field.
• Minimum 1 year of office experience.
• Advanced proficiency with entire Microsoft Office Suite specifically Microsoft Excel.
• Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to provide strong customer service and maintain confidentiality in dealing with sensitive employee issues.
• Must be detail-oriented, well-organized, with the ability to manage multiple projects & priorities simultaneously.
• Able to exercise effective judgment, sensitivity, creativity to changing needs and situations.
• Ability to work in a team environment.
Physical requirements and work conditions
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee working in an office environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
How to apply
Interested applicants should submit a résumé at https://careers.csis.org/opportunities